VMware Cloud Community
dm66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualizing a single server, it make sense?

Hi all,

There is any advantage to virtualizing a single server?
The only advantages that come to mind when we speak of a single server are able to make clones and snapshots.

There are any license that only covers one ESXi with VirtualCenter to manage it? I read that the smallest is vsphere essentials that covers 3 hosts.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do a poor-man's clone, and simply power off the VM and make a copy of the VMDK. Then, just create another VM using the copy of the VMDK. I used to do it all the time with ESXi.

I think it makes a ton of sense to virtualize a single server. It's not really a matter of why, it's a matter of why not. You get all of the core benefits of virtualization for free. It makes moving, upgrading, and backing up the server so much easier.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Could make sense... you can also simple change the hardware without guest riconfiguration.

But the smallest license with vCenter is just the Essential bundle.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The free ESXi hypervisor will work just fine for virtualizing a single server (you can virtualize many more than just one on the free version). The vSphere client that yo use to manage a single host is also part of the free hypervisor.

In my opinion it is  worthwhile virtualizing a single computer. Once you have virtualized, the virtual server can be moved to new physical hardware without any changes. Moving to new hardware normally requires a reinstall of everything. The other advantage is being able to easily create a clone of that virtual server for disaster purposes. Shut down the server and export the virtual machine using the vSphere client.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
dm66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With the esxi free hypervisor i won't be able to create a clone, I think that create a clone is only possible with vCenter.

0 Kudos
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You could power off the VM use SCP to copy to the new server. Register it on the new server and then power it back. Is that what your referring too?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The other advantage is being able to easily create a clone of that  virtual server for disaster purposes. Shut down the server and export  the virtual machine using the vSphere client.

From the client a simple export.

You can also use ghettoVCB script to create a scheduled clone. http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

Trilead Explorer is free and although it can do a scheduled copy it doesn't take much to get a run able copy of yor VM. http://www.trilead.com/

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
vmdavet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would say if creating a "clone" or copy of an existing VM is all you are trying to get out of vCenter, why not use Converter?  It will clone any VM from any source to any host no vCenter required.  It even gives you the options of guest customization for certain OSes. No need for any licenses either since it is a free tool.  Just a thought.

-dt

0 Kudos
scottyyyc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can do a poor-man's clone, and simply power off the VM and make a copy of the VMDK. Then, just create another VM using the copy of the VMDK. I used to do it all the time with ESXi.

I think it makes a ton of sense to virtualize a single server. It's not really a matter of why, it's a matter of why not. You get all of the core benefits of virtualization for free. It makes moving, upgrading, and backing up the server so much easier.

0 Kudos