VMware Cloud Community
schroeder0
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualize Cisco ISE

Any others deploying Cisco ISE on VMware?  Are there any special provisions being put in place e.g. putting the VMs on their own hosts or behind a load balancer, etc. or keeping them with the rest of the workloads?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Cisco have this: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/3-1/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide31/b_ise...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
DurhamNeil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have 2 virtual ISE running on ESX 7 on Nutanix HCI hardware. They're just in with all the other production VMs. They work great.

The only provision we have is that we have to exclude those VMs from our Rubrik backups as currently if Rubrik attempts to backup virtualized ISE: ISE dies.

We learned this hard way! (Reference: this absolutely minimal cisco bug page: Cisco Bug: CSCvu92228 - [DOC] ISE Compatibility Matrix Should Identify Whether VM Backups with Rubri...)

VCP-DVC 2022 & CCNA
0 Kudos
schroeder0
Contributor
Contributor

Very good to know!  Thank you so much for the heads up!!!

0 Kudos
maxr91
Contributor
Contributor

In my environment in Site A and Site B, these VMs are isolated from the rest VMs. It means we have dedicated hosts only for these VMs. 

Expensive solution? - definitely, I don't know why - but the Network team insists on such a solution. 

0 Kudos