VMware Cloud Community
max08
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machines swapping memory, high I/O wait time. vCenter not reporting it

Hello

I am running into an issue where users are complaining about memory swapping on their virtual machines.  I can see swapping occur inside the guest but I dont see any reports of it via vcenter.  Currently we are using a kernel that requires a patch to get it fully working.  Could that explain why I am not seeing what the guest are seeing?

With the swapping users are complaining of high I/O wait time as well. However I am having a hard time pin pointing where the problem is.

There is no latency to the SAN, davg/wr is right around 1.0 and guest memory useage reported via vcenter is hovering around %30.

Example:

guest (3GB):

Mem:   3085028k total,  3001496k used,    83532k free,     6088k buffers
Swap:  2097148k total,  1449116k used,   648032k free,    55160k cached
             total            used           free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          3012       2931         81          0          9         62
-/+ buffers/cache:       2860        152
Swap:         2047       1431        616

vcenter:

3.06 GB consumed

1.35 Active

0 swapped

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Ty[ically if swapping is occurring inside the guestis an indication on one of two things occuring -

1. not enough memory is assigned to the guest - to correct this increase the memory assigned to the VM -
  2. There is contention for memory on the ESXi host and the Balloon driver has been activated -- this can be checked by monitoring balloning activity for the VM
If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
max08
Contributor
Contributor

Other than looking at vcenter how do I monitor balloon activity?  Because right now its not reporting any.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

you would be able to set an alarm within vcenter to send an email if balloning occcurs - you could also monitor the vmware tools activity within the VM itself since VMware tools is where the Balloon driver is installed -

But back to your original question without balloon activity it sounds like there is not enough memory assigned to the VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Just to add to what weinstein5 has said the swap counter in vCenter does not reprsent the same swap that you see inside a guest OS.    The swap in vCenter is monitoring vSphere swapping while inside the guest OS monitors OS swapping.

0 Kudos