VMware Cloud Community
GustavGanz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual machine on VMware ESXi crashes/switches off once a week

Hallo!

I'm running ESXi 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 15820472) on a Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH with 64GB and 3 virtual machines (2 windows and one ubuntu).

ESXi is rock solid and so are two of the virtual machines.

One of them (a Windows Server 2019 domain controller) is switching off (or crashing?) (nearly exact) once a week.

This virtual machine is running directly on a built in NVMe SSD.

screen.png

Any ideas where i can start from?

Someone had this before?

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

first look into the eventviewer of this vm to see if the vm crashes or has been properly shutdown

look at the tasks/events in the host client if there is something visible that shutdowns the machine

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

first look into the eventviewer of this vm to see if the vm crashes or has been properly shutdown

look at the tasks/events in the host client if there is something visible that shutdowns the machine

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HI,

Have you checked the server event display for crash errors?

Are "VMware tools" installed?

Has the Windows Server 2019 license been registered correctly?

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
GustavGanz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hallo!

it seems the system is always shutdown correctly by silsvc.

i found the following entry in the windows/system log (unfortunately it is german):

Vom Prozess "C:\Windows\system32\silsvc.exe (XYXDC)" wurde auf Anforderung des Benutzers "NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM" das Ereignis "Ausschalten" für den Computer "LEONESDC" aus folgendem Grund initiiert: "Kein Titel für den Grund"

Ursachencode: "0x2000c"

Herunterfahrtyp: "Ausschalten"

Kommentar: "Der Computer wurde aufgrund des Lizenzeinhaltungsdiensts heruntergefahren. Einzelheiten dazu finden Sie in den Ereignissen unter "Microsoft", "Windows", "Serverinfrastrukturlizenzierung", "Betriebsbereit"."

I googled this and found out it's a licensing-problem and has nothing to do with VmWare.

The domain controller is using a a license of our MAPS program - i will solve that with microsoft.

thank you for your help - i should have done my homwork (checking the client logs) first...

0 Kudos