VMware Cloud Community
GWeatherby
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine lifetime with failed datastore

We've had transient datastore failures, and are trying to understand our mitigation options.

It's documented / we've observed that if an esxi host loses access to a datastore, virtual machines will continue to run on that host from some amount of time before the virtual machine is told the disks are read-only. This time appears to be on the order of 5 to 15 minutes. If the datastore is restored within some grace period, it resumes operating normally.

* What factors affect the grace time before the virtual machine is affected?

* Are there any vSphere configuration options which can affect the grace period for specific virtual machines?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

This is a great question.

This gracetime you are talking about I suppose is dictated when a the last heartbeat of the Datastore is failed from all hosts.

In my experience this grace time is not  greater than some seconds (maybe 10 or 15 seconds).

I found something related: VMware Knowledge Base

Maybe anyone has another thing to say.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

What ESXi version are you running? Most probably the host got isolated vSphere HA heartbeat datastores, the isolation address and vSAN - Yellow Bricks

0 Kudos