VMware Cloud Community
John_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed

I did something really stupid and canceled snapshot creation task.  Server its running on ESXi 5.5.0, there are few other vm's running on it.  Now there's message saying that disk consolidation is needed.

Thing is that this was first snapshot of this vm. Should i try to consolidate it, just ignore this message or maybe try to make new snapshot?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

John,

I know, that shouldn't be a problem. You can just consolidate the disks. The reason it mentions this, is that when a snapshot is made, a new delta vmdk (VM disk file) is created. All new changes from that point are saved in that new VMDK, but since you aborted the snapshot process, the VM is most likely running on a delta disk but the snapshot database does not report a successful snapshot.

Let me know if it works out for you,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi John,

No worries, you can just consolidate the snapshot. I've never seen this go wrong. If that shouldn't work, try creating a snapshot and doing a delete all from the snapshot manager window.

0 Kudos
John_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

but there are no completed snapshots for machine that shows this error. only one ever made was canceled at 20%

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

John,

I know, that shouldn't be a problem. You can just consolidate the disks. The reason it mentions this, is that when a snapshot is made, a new delta vmdk (VM disk file) is created. All new changes from that point are saved in that new VMDK, but since you aborted the snapshot process, the VM is most likely running on a delta disk but the snapshot database does not report a successful snapshot.

Let me know if it works out for you,

0 Kudos
John_Snow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for Your help. Unfortunately this is database server in my company so i'm a bit scared to even touch it atm. I will try to consolidate it at Friday night, this way i will have two days to get it back and running if something goes wrong.

edit. consolidation worked without any issues. thanks for help again.

Message was edited by: John_Snow

0 Kudos