VMware Cloud Community
Anario
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual machine consolidation is needed.

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with esxi no space for vm, it's failed on boot, also can't consolidate due to no space. Could you please advice what can i delete from VM's folder ?vm1.png

Thank you.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I was afraid to see a thin provisioned virtual disk with multiple snapshots.With the file sizes show, you may need up to ~37GB (75GB provisioned size minus 38GB currently used by th flat file) additional disk space on the datastore to consolidate the snapshots.

Unless you have another datastore with enough free disk space to migrate/clone the VM, your options are limited. What may work is that you save the VM as an OVF (from the ESXi host's File menu) on your PC (assuming it has sufficient free disk space), then delete the VM on the ESXi host, and finally re-import the OFV file. Other option are to use VMware Converter or a backup application.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please post the output of ls -lisa to show the current file sizes and block usage.

Are there other VMs running on this datastore?

André

0 Kudos
Anario
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi a.p

I have only one VM on this bare metal machine.

Here is the output.

vm3.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I was afraid to see a thin provisioned virtual disk with multiple snapshots.With the file sizes show, you may need up to ~37GB (75GB provisioned size minus 38GB currently used by th flat file) additional disk space on the datastore to consolidate the snapshots.

Unless you have another datastore with enough free disk space to migrate/clone the VM, your options are limited. What may work is that you save the VM as an OVF (from the ESXi host's File menu) on your PC (assuming it has sufficient free disk space), then delete the VM on the ESXi host, and finally re-import the OFV file. Other option are to use VMware Converter or a backup application.

André

Anario
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your help !

0 Kudos