VMware Cloud Community
enesem
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Switch config/help/advice please :>)

Hi Folks.

Please refer to attached diagram for a graphical overview.

I have esxi 4.0 on a HP DL320 with 2 network cards. At the moment, only NIC 1 is used. The ESXi server has an IP address of 192.168.30.10, and it is attached to a Cisco 2960 switch on a port which is tagged with VLAN30. I have one server on the ESXi host and it is on 192.168.30.7, also accessed on VLAN 30.

I would like to have a VM proxy server that is available to all subnets, and I would like to do this by plugging the second network port on the HP DL320 to the DMZ port on my firewall.

I would appreciate any help or advice on how to set up the virtual switching to allow me to do this as per the attached document.

Here are some questions:

1) Does the second network port on the DL320, end so on the VMWare machine, need a VMware IP Address, and if so, how do you configure it from VSphere client ?

2)  Do I need to allocate the port to a VLAN I don't think the DMZ port on the firewall uses VLAN tags.

3) If I allocate the new proxy VM to the second port, can Istill admin it from the IP address on the first port ?

So, if anyone can help guide me through this I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

NM

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SimonStrutt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In response to your questions...

1) Only the the proxy VM needs an IP, the ESX itself doesn't communicate through the NIC so doesn't need an IP

2) The port doesn't need a VLAN ID assigned if port it's plugged into in the firewall/router doesn't have a VLAN ID (ie theres no 802.1Q tagging being used)

3) If by admin it you mean connect to it with a VI Client console, then yes.  If you want to connect directlty to 10.10.1.7 from your desktop, then that will depend on your network, the ESX won't pass traffic between 192.168.30.0 and 10.10.1.0 networks, that's for a router to do.

Hope that helps...?

"The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
enesem
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent advice, thank you, it did help me understand what was what.

I also used this really good video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1py7Q-pDGo

So, I set my network up now exactly as I needed.

Many thanks once again for taking time to help.

NM

0 Kudos