VMware Cloud Community
bond347
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Std switch NIC Teaming (Active/Active)

Hi All,

I have 1 ESXi 7.0.3 (vSphere standard) host without vCenter and 8 network adapters.

Planned to create 3 standard switches (vswitch0 for mgmt, vswitch1 for vmotion and vswitch2 for VMs). Each of the virtual switches policy as "Route based on the originating virtual switch port ID" and will have 2 uplinks with NIC teaming as active/active and connect to my Cisco catalyst 9300.

Questions:
1. Will this setup be possible?

2. Do i need a port-channel on my switch side to have both network adapter as active?

3. What are the command i should type in Cisco?

4. If active/active network adapters are not possible due to standard switch, then what is best configuration for my environment? and the Cisco command?

Any other advice are welcome.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's the purpose of configuring vMotion without a vCenter Server?

Anyway, with the default "Route based on the originating virtual switch port ID" you can connect multiple vmnics from a virtual to a physical switch. ESXi will assign an uplink (vmnic) to a VM's network adapter at power on, and will move it to another one in case of e.g. an uplink failure. So there's no risk with loops etc.

André

0 Kudos
bond347
Contributor
Contributor

Hi a_p,

Thanks for reply.

vMotivon vswitch in preparation if the organisation procure vCenter.

Based on reading standard vswitch does not support physical switch configuration like LACP / port-channel.

Am i correct, with std vswitch, the only option i have is to setup NIC teaming set as Active/Standby and on the physical switch no port-channel at all?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Yes
  2. No

Just set it on Active/Active on every vSwitch/Portgroup and youre done. Take a look to https://kensvirtualreality.wordpress.com/2009/03/29/the-great-vswitch-debate-part-1/