VMware Cloud Community
mevcutonur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Machine Sees Only 2 Cores of the CPU

Hi, I have a server with Intel Atom C2750 with 8 cores, and I created a virtual machine (Windows 10 Pro x64) from the web client. I gave it 8 vCPUs but when I check the CPU on dxdiag it says "(2 CPUs)". If I give it 1 vCPU then it shows 1 CPU but I can't go higher than two. I realized this issue when I opened a few tabs on Google Chrome. The CPU usage gets to 100%. So how can I be sure that the virtual machine doesn't get vCPUs higher than two? And if it really doesn't, what might be causing this problem and how can I solve it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Isnt the Windows Desktop OS limitet to 2 CPU Sockets? Also the CPU config dialog within latest HTML5/WebClient have changed compared to the old Days. IIRC it asks for the total of logical CPUs and than for the number of vCores which gives vCPU = vCores * vSocket.  So enter 8 at the first step and than 4 or the other way around.

Regards

Joerg

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Isnt the Windows Desktop OS limitet to 2 CPU Sockets? Also the CPU config dialog within latest HTML5/WebClient have changed compared to the old Days. IIRC it asks for the total of logical CPUs and than for the number of vCores which gives vCPU = vCores * vSocket.  So enter 8 at the first step and than 4 or the other way around.

Regards

Joerg

mevcutonur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thank you a lot. Apparently, the first part is the CPU number. The second is for cores. I just didn't think of expanding the CPU tab and been trying to have 8 CPUs. I now fixed it and have a CPU with 8 cores. Thanks again.