VMware Cloud Community
sivaksk147
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Name issue

Hi techies,

Recently i have come across  Virutal machine rename issue, i have created 10 virtualmachine with name of vm1,vm2,vm3, to vm10 and i have renamed few vm's vm1,vm2,vm5 and vm6 with test1,test2,test5 and test6. Now what have done is after renaming those vms i have unregister from inventory panel, then i went to respective Datastore and try to registor back to inventory panel, here i see that problem is renamed virtual machines are not reflected in Datastore folders names, which means i can see only initial setup of virtualmachines names only. i din't  find any renamed virtual machine from that datastore. Can some help on this ?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Renaming the virtual machine in the inventory doesn't rename the VM in the datastore, the datastore VM folder you cannot rename there is no option.

for renaming the VM you can either clone it if you have vCenter server managing all the hosts and VMs or manually you can create a new folder in the datastore and copy the contents of the old VM to the new renamed VM folder and then right-click the files to rename it, the nvram file cannot be renamed just by right-clicking as it will revert back to the old name - you will have to edit the vmx file but handle very carefully sometimes these small changes will corrupt the entire vm so i suggest you make a copy of your VM and then experiment. If you do not have vCenter and want to rename a VM cleanly then use VMware Standalone Converter tool to create a new VM of the old one with the new name.

Hope this information is useful

Nikhil

0 Kudos
AmeenMunaff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Do a SVMotion (Storage vMotion) after renaming the VM ID. It will change the name in datastores as well..

Hope this helps!

Regards

Ameen Munaf

Regards, Ameen Munaf
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do what ameenmunaf says, that will work.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos