VMware Cloud Community
Debashis5352
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Guest OS reporting incorrect OS Details

Hi Expert People I have a vm with Windows server 2019 GUI running on esxi 6.5 . However the Guest OS is reporting as windows server 2012R2. I have changed the Guest OS version from General setting under vm options tab to windows server 2016 or later. However it is still reporting as guest OS with server 2012R2 .Vmware tool is also running with hw version 13, Any idea how to fix it ? so that the gues os version will be showing server 2016 or later ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think the info you’re seeing comes from VMware Tools, and it might be based on a parameter in the Windows registry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Debashis5352
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Yes it might be  a reason, however this issue got resolved by performing some weired troubleshooting steps.

What i did was-Power off the machine and perform a storage vmotion from one datastore to another .Then power on the machine post which i can see it is showing as correct Guest OS. Still the cause i did nt understand though!!

0 Kudos