VMware Cloud Community
swisst
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Instance of Linux, various networking issues ARP in particular.

Hey,

Have been grappling with a virtual appliance for some time now. I think I have through some degree of fault diagnostic/deduction come to the conclusion that ARP is not working correctly. I wondered how I would go about fixing it?

The vApp is esxPress 3.6.1 and my configuration requires me to bridge two networks with this appliance.

I have a Production Network and a Storage Network. I have added a second vNIC to this instance and manually configured it through the cmdline. I can ping the devices themselves from the devices so 127.0.0.1 and also the 10.5.140.253 (LAN) and 10.103.5.2 (SAN) addresses.but when I try to ping either the pSwitch/router on 10.5.0.1 or iSCSI target initiator on 10.103.1.2 I get a .

When I issue the ARP command I get a table of lookups, I would expect to see the HW address in the respective column. However instead (incomplete) is listed.

(BTW, I have several virtual windows instances configured on this host similarly with no problems.)

I have tried ARPING and the commandline hangs....you can CTRL + C out and get the information sent 2 probes, received 0 responses.

I started reading about a problem "ARP Flux" but, from my understanding of it, this was a little different to what I am experiencing.

Wondered whether anyone else has had experiences in similar and what they did to overcome, or how I might go about resolving using linux troubleshooting techniques......I would like to add that I am quite new to Linux cmd line, but rapidly expanding my knowledge!

thanks.

T.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

T,

If you haven't brough this issue/question to our support yet can you send us a phd-support file from the DeDup appliance so we can see you NIC configuration and offer some suggestions

Pete@esXpress

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
swisst
Contributor
Contributor

Resolved this issue myself !

I had to remove one of the vNICs from the install configure and test to ensure it was working then re-add the second vNIC.with a little test

Not sure whether this is a problem with just this specific Virtual Appliance or Linux, either way it's resolved....

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good to hear you resolved your issue, thanks for the helpful

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos