VMware Cloud Community
Bcuda72
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual File Server recommendations

I have roughly 45TB of CIFS\NFS file services running on a dedicated storage array.  The current hardware is end of life so I need to replace it.

So I was considering virtualizing the file services using Server 2012 on VMware 5.1.  The reason I was thinking about doing that is if you use a hardware approach (Netapp, Nexsan....) for DR you pretty much need the same array in your DR location.  If it was virtual then I could put any manufactures storage at the DR site and replicate to it.

My concern is with having that large of a file server, even if I broke it into 10 servers and used DFS that still seems kind of clunky.  So I am looking for suggestions.  

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Below link will help you lot & answer your query.

http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/08/28/howto-migrate-file-shares-permissions-and-user-profiles-paths-... .

"concentrate the mind on the  present moment."
0 Kudos
Bcuda72
Contributor
Contributor

Not for sure how this helps?   I know how to migrate my file servers, perhaps I was not clear.   I am asking for feedback on virtualizing a fairly large file server.  My end goal is to be able to replicate this to a DR site and not be dependent on a storage vendor. 

0 Kudos
BostonTechGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Couple things are needed:

1. Are you placing all the storage into VMDKs? http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r51/vsphere-51-configuration-maximums.pdf
  2. How many Windows Servers are you going to make or are you going to have multiple drives?
  3. How are you planning to replicate to DR?

Thanks,

Boston Tech Guy

0 Kudos
Bcuda72
Contributor
Contributor

Some of your questions are what I am trying to figure out.

So I will start with the last one.

3. There are numerous options I can use for this.  Built in replication from VMware.  We are also a Veeam customer.  It might not be a zero loss replication but for a file server 15min would be fine

2. Don't know that is what I am trying to figure out, what makes the most sense and is not an admin nightmare.  A couple of servers with multiple large disks?   A bunch of smaller servers?

1. I would assume VMDK format, I don't know if replication at the guest level can handle other formats.

0 Kudos
BostonTechGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.  What you are doing could actually be a nightmare, depending on your goals.

From you original post you have a problem:

1. Hardware is End Of Life

Your Goals are:

1. Replication to DR
  2. Hardware Agnostic

Your Hardware is end of life. Understood.  You need to get your data over to new storage and over to DR. This raises new questions.

1. Is this a new DR site or Existing?
  2. Is Cost an issue
  3. Are you planning on using VMware SRM?

Personally I recommend that you leverage Storage to Storage Migration of your data.  Especially working on storage of that size.  Remove VMWare from the equation on replicating the data.  It will be less time consuming, easier to maintain, and much easier to expand.  I recommend for your next step to leaverage VMware SRM policies to run your environment in DR.

If you wish to stay vendor agnostic on the storage, then look at solutions from companies like Acronis or CommVault on getting your DR strategy working.

Strongly, STRONGLY not recommend virtualizing the whole 45 TBs to VMDKs and use VMware replication.  You can do it, very possible infact. But it will be time consuming and all on you should replication go south.  I suspect it would be slow from a IOPS perspective vs Block level replication and storage. VMware replication is for small offices that have less than couple TBs in storage.

Hope this helps

Boston Tech Guy.

0 Kudos