VMware Cloud Community
Kogletree
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Drive Consolidation

A while back we needed additional volumes on a Guest and there was not the space on the current LUN (LUN A). A new LUN (LUN B) was created with the required space for everything needed for this Guest. The person that worked on the project just created the new logical drives on the LUN B leaving the original files on LUN A. I wanted everything consolidated onto a single LUN. My Google searches have not turned up anything that will help me out on getting this done. There is no other location with enough space to hold all this right now other than LUN B.

Will running the migration wizard for a datastore migration and setting the target to LUN B accomplish this? I get no errors walking through the migration wizard, but did not want to commit until I could find a confirmation somewhere.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanH84
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you want to storage vMotion a VM from one datastore to another you can. Similarly, it sounds that you have some virtual disks on LUN B and some original ones on LUN A. You should be able to choose advanced vMotion options for your disks and select the datastores that you want to put them on. Something like this blog post I'd suggest?

That way, your VM will entirely reside on LUN B at the end of the move. Is that what you want?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RyanH84
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you want to storage vMotion a VM from one datastore to another you can. Similarly, it sounds that you have some virtual disks on LUN B and some original ones on LUN A. You should be able to choose advanced vMotion options for your disks and select the datastores that you want to put them on. Something like this blog post I'd suggest?

That way, your VM will entirely reside on LUN B at the end of the move. Is that what you want?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
0 Kudos
Kogletree
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that did the trick for me!

0 Kudos