VMware Cloud Community
lfstudios10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Video subsystem Mac Pro issue

I just attempted to install ESXi on a 2012 MacPro and everything seems fine until after the installation.  As the system boots I get the following error:

Multiboot could not setup the video subsystem.

I hear this is a resolution issue, however my monitor is already at 1280x800.
Any ideas as I'd like this thing to boot.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you checked if ESXi has actually booted?  It looks like "Multiboot could not setup the video subsystem" is just a warning message, and it should continue to try to boot the OS (without any further updates to the display) regardless.  There's no guarantee that it will succeed in booting the OS, but it looks like it will try to do so...  You might need to hook up another monitor to get it configured (e.g. if you want to enable SSH), but after that it might not need a monitor at all.  (Disclaimer: I have never tried this! Smiley Wink)

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the EFI would you have an option to force legacy video upon boot?

0 Kudos
lfstudios10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

At the ESXi boot screen I hit Shift+O which I thought would give me options but it gives me a command prompt and would have no clue what to type.  Other than that I'm not familiar with any legacy video in EFI.

0 Kudos
lfstudios10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any way to put in a config parameter to set the resolution?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi 4.0 had a novga64 boot option but I'm not sure it's in ESXi 5.  Looking at other instances of the same error it has been solved in the UEFI or by swapping the HDMI cable

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See this as an example  http://www.tekhead.org/blog/tag/esxi/

0 Kudos
lfstudios10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried all the outs of the MacPro (there are three).  I haven't tried another monitor and I'd hate to put another monitor in my rack jus tto ge this thing to boot.  How about that video thing from ESXi4 - how would I try it and see if I could do it in 5?

0 Kudos
lfstudios10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any way to get it to boot without the video.  100% of the work I do does not require any GUI interface.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you checked if ESXi has actually booted?  It looks like "Multiboot could not setup the video subsystem" is just a warning message, and it should continue to try to boot the OS (without any further updates to the display) regardless.  There's no guarantee that it will succeed in booting the OS, but it looks like it will try to do so...  You might need to hook up another monitor to get it configured (e.g. if you want to enable SSH), but after that it might not need a monitor at all.  (Disclaimer: I have never tried this! Smiley Wink)

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
lfstudios10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Suprisingly with a monitor of a lower resolution it all works.  And yes, even when that message comes up the system countinues to boot in the background so it is useable.

0 Kudos