VMware Cloud Community
Virtuali3ed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very slow openvpn running on Linux VM under esxi 4 U1

I have an opensuse VM machine under esxi 4 u1 which is running openvpn. Openvpn installation went fine without any issue but the connection speed of the tunnel is very slow. Strange thing is the network speed of the VM is not slow at all.

I can browse the internet and local network without any issues however when I try to access my network from a different subnet using openvpn the connection is horribly slow. I have tested the same setup by installing openvpn on a physical machine and it did not have any performance issues.

Please advise!!

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Virtuali3ed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I solved the issue by switching to e1000 from vmxnet3 so seems like there is an issue with vmxnet3. Any ideas what might be the issue?

0 Kudos
cokkie
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with a ESXi 4.1 installation and a Debian Lenny VM. After an upgrade from 3.5 to 4.1 we updates our vnic's to use the vmxnet3 driver but it gave the mentioned problems. After changing it back to E1000, everything is working like a charm again.

0 Kudos
maxsupremicus
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, check out this discussion for answers as to why it's so slow: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1595658#1595658

0 Kudos
cokkie
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, that thread really helped me! (and fixed my problems Smiley Happy)

0 Kudos