VMware Cloud Community
Websterm2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Veeam, rdm and LTO

Hi,

I will use Veeam with a 1.8TB LUN to backup my VM's. These LUN in in the same storage the VMs are, and because of that i'm going to use a LTO to backup Veeam files created, but i have a doubt on how to do.
Veeam is a VM and i'm thinking to attach this 1.8TB LUN as a RDM and in the physical machine that have ArcServe and the LTO use windows iscsi initiator to connect to the same LUN and do the backup instead using network. It will work or there is a better way to do that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I think there is a disconnect when using backups.  LTO is OLD technology, the reason you use LTO / Tape was because there WAS no alternative years ago.  Enter Virtual machines, and now that whole spectrum has changed.. If you have VM's on disk, and a tool to backup to ANY device you want, what is the problem with simply writing your backup DIRECT to disk and sending THAT device off site?

People don't think this through.. you are accomplishing the SAME thing, why insist on using archaic methods for tradition sake?  It doesn't make any sense.

Your methodology will work,that's the best way to accomplish it.. You are using LTO to archive your data for the purpose of DR, external disk will save you a TON of steps, much easier retrieval / backup process also...

Websterm2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Until recently the company was using only physical servers and the LTO to do backups. Now 99% is virtualized and we will use Veeam for disk backup and restore, but the backup LUN is in the same storage the VM's are.

I know it's really difficult the whole storage crash or who knows stolled, but if it happens i need a tape that stays out of the company to restore the files and then use Veeam to restore all VM's. The tape is like a last hope Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos