VMware Cloud Community
ArielStu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vdr or Veeam

Hi

For replicating Two sites  over the  WAN,  what are the parameters to compare between two solutions, including price

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VitaliyS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The first and the most important differentiator is that Veeam replication jobs allow you to have multiple restore points/rollbacks. This is an essenital feature, cause just like "good/valid" data, any corruption/virus/dataloss from the source VM is immediately replicated to target VM. And I believe that you would agree that it might be very tricky to detect this kind of problems fast enough in order to failover to the VM replica before the next replication cycle kicks in.

In addition to this, since you're going to replicate over the WAN link, I guess you would also need features like traffic compression and traffic throttling, and Veeam replication jobs do provide this functionality.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
VitaliyS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The first and the most important differentiator is that Veeam replication jobs allow you to have multiple restore points/rollbacks. This is an essenital feature, cause just like "good/valid" data, any corruption/virus/dataloss from the source VM is immediately replicated to target VM. And I believe that you would agree that it might be very tricky to detect this kind of problems fast enough in order to failover to the VM replica before the next replication cycle kicks in.

In addition to this, since you're going to replicate over the WAN link, I guess you would also need features like traffic compression and traffic throttling, and Veeam replication jobs do provide this functionality.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ArielStu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What about SRM   Site Replication Manager,   i understand that is fifferent than Vsphere replication,

Does the SRM   have  Snapshoots  and traffic compression ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Yps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRM can use both 'Vsphere replication' or hardware replication in storage. SRM adds funcationality to setup disaster workflows.

Zerto also have a software that replicate VMs between sites with very short RPO,  features like SRM.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VDR is an abosolute *HORRID* piece of software.  It's buggy, slow, not well implemented and has NO intutivie interface or features.  It has about 10 patches to try and it to work consistently, and now it's just stable, but FAR behind other backup tools in the feature department.

Veeam on the other hand is the BEST backup tool, and it supports Hyper-V as well as VMware on the same console, maybe you don't have Hyper-V but that just demonstrates Veeam committment to being the best and full featured app.

Veeam isn't that expensive, something like $400.00 a socket, something like that.

You get what you pay for, ever wonder WHY VMware doesn't charge for VDR?  Yeah.. that should tell you something right there, even they don't believe it's a viable product..

Go VEEAM, save yourself the pain and agony, do it right from the beginning.

0 Kudos
ArielStu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, but what about VMware SRM Site replication Manager, ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Yps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDR are replaced by VDP in 5.1 for backup/recover of VMs. Using EMC Avamar technology for deduplication, max 100 VMs per appliance and 2Tb of dedupe backupdata.

Vmware Replication are free in vsphere, and replicates vm betweens clusters. Can not do DR from different point in time.

SRM can add features to Vmware replication to setup startup prio, test-DR and so. 

Veeam are a backup solutions, and have added replication functionality, often backup to hardware with dedupe functionality like datadomain, exagrid.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's really part of the whole eggs in one basket.

I don't like an OS manufacturer providing an Anti-virus, that's the top selling AV job.. if the OS dies, and the protection is by the same company, chances are very good that the same vulnerabilities that allowed the OS to fail, will take the AV with it.  Therefore you are left naked with nothing but an ethernet cable and a resume in your hand.

Same with backup.  I don't want a VM Vendor, Oracle, VM Ware, Microsoft OR Redhat giving me a backup for their product.  They cannot be trusted.  I want a 3rd party, give me a Vendor that is rated highly, has no affiliation with the product and therefore will not push it as a part of a "suite".

I don't have any confidence that VM ware or MS for that matter will not simply change direction, like SRM.  You have NO idea what will happen tomorrow, maybe the license changes, maybe the product goes away, maybe it requires to change ESX version to use SRM.. subject to change, no notice.  Not good in my opinion, too easy to modify backup and features. (And BTW, this HAS happened with some features and products)

Give me a 3rd party, Netbackup, VEEAM, PhD, something that doesn't OWN a virtualization software and therefore has no dog in the fight...... that's what I believe.  They should ALL be separate.  Those companies will strive to be the best and maintain a good product, because their livelihood depends on it.

Backup is way too important.. besides, when did VM ware become a backup expert?  I want established company with a history of doing backups, and only backups.... so they know how to do it right.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yps wrote:

VDR are replaced by VDP in 5.1 for backup/recover of VMs. Using EMC Avamar technology for deduplication, max 100 VMs per appliance and 2Tb of dedupe backupdata.

Thats the part that really bugs me.. why on earth would you LIMIT your backup?  That's ridiculous at best..

100 VM's per appliance.. that to me is EXACTLY why you don't want to use it, it is basically telling you up front that it can't handle a LARGE job well.. That's plainly obvious to me.  What if you start using it, and grow beyond 100 VM's.. NOW you have to change your strategy..

Kinda defeats the whole intent of backup to protect your environment, doesn't it?

0 Kudos
Yps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EMC wants to sell Avamar, you can upgrade to Avamar from vdp, thats why they got limits.

And as a cheap solution, you can have multiple VDP instances in same VC to get around the limits, but the mangement will be a much more.

0 Kudos
VitaliyS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As far as I know there is no "technical" upgrade path from VDP to Avamar. It should be a completely new, separate deployment.

0 Kudos