VMware Cloud Community
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vcenter 5...vm image lost...backup lost...recovery options?

I apologize for posting this here, but I am not "authorized" to post in any other forum apparently.

Had a catastrophic failure and barring any recovery of the data itself I need to know what kind of issues I am looking at.  Had a Vsphere 5 cluster of 3 ESXi servers with the vcenter virtualized in this same cluster.

My ESXi hosts are still running fine.

What are the ramifications of rebuilding a new Vcenter server from scratch?  What would I lose?

I am running out of time unfortunately.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the good news is that your ESX Hosts don't need vCenter to run. You'll only lose DRS, but if you configured HA for them they will continue to work.  I would rebuild vCenter, using the same hostname and IP.  If your DB was remote, "connect to existing" DB.  If you DB was local, I would say create a remote DB and connect to it.  It makes it a lot easier to recover.  From there, depending on where you DB is, you may need to re-create your clusters, any resource pools, folders and permissions you had.  Your ESX Hosts may need to be added back to inventory.

Good new in all of this, it's not a catastrophic failure.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the good news is that your ESX Hosts don't need vCenter to run. You'll only lose DRS, but if you configured HA for them they will continue to work.  I would rebuild vCenter, using the same hostname and IP.  If your DB was remote, "connect to existing" DB.  If you DB was local, I would say create a remote DB and connect to it.  It makes it a lot easier to recover.  From there, depending on where you DB is, you may need to re-create your clusters, any resource pools, folders and permissions you had.  Your ESX Hosts may need to be added back to inventory.

Good new in all of this, it's not a catastrophic failure.

0 Kudos
maleitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the confirmation Troy.  Helps to ease my mind that I can somewhat recover from this mess.  Hope the rest of my issues have similar outlooks.

0 Kudos