VMware Cloud Community
beckham007fifa

Vcenter 4.0 to Vcenter 4.1 upgradation

another case of upgradation: I have Vc01 which is with 32 bit dsn and with 32 bit db which is not supported for vcenter4.1.I am having a new vcenter vc02 server ready with new DB on it where I would like to install new Vcenter 4.1 server. ( I have not planned for data migration utility, i think its not required)

I am having VUM configured on it and i would like to use it after upgradation also. I am writing my plan for upgrading it but I don't have plan for VUM dsn and configuration. Could you please check for the steps if there is anything missing and help me in adding VUM migration plan as well.

Steps:

Taking   clone of Vcenter server; stopping Vcenter services
2.Migration of DB from the existing server   vc01 to the new server vc02
3. Creation of 64 bit DSN on the new server
4. Installation of Vcenter 4.0 server application and checking the   functonality
5. IP and Hostname swap between the server Vc01 and vc02; Server swapping
6. Installation of vcenter 4.1 server on the new vc01 server

Thanks,

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
11 Replies
beckham007fifa

can I get some inputs on this please.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Follow the upgrade procedures in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_upgrade_guide.pdf - i twill step you through the upgrade and migration of the database

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VUM still uses a 32bit DSN.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

hi,

I have refered this document. could you pls check my steps that i have provided

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

do I have to use data migration tool in case of my migration? will I be able to migrate all the host in the similar fashion as they are now in my current vcenter4.0 server. I would like to migrate all of the licenses and all in the migration. Is data migration tool required?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is no in place upgrade for vCenter 4.1 from vCenter 4.0 when running on 32 bit OS.

Date Migration Tools helps you to Migrate the database and lauch the vCenter installation after the database is loaded on target server Refer KB

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

will the vcenter come up if I follow my plan, my vcenter is on win server 2003 ent 64bit with 32 bit db. I mean all my license information and other stuffs will be inact if I follow in that way?

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you follow the correct process all information will be retained in your vCenter server.

PS: Make sure you take a full backup of your vCenter DB before you start the activity

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

see, my doubt is if I will be migrating the db whether I have to create db again using this or not on the new vc server?

CREATE USER "VPXADMIN" PROFILE "DEFAULT" IDENTIFIED BY "oracle" DEFAULT TABLESPACE
"VPX" ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
grant connect to VPXADMIN;
grant resource to VPXADMIN;
grant create view to VPXADMIN;
grant create sequence to VPXADMIN;
grant create table to VPXADMIN;
grant create materialized view to VPXADMIN;
grant execute on dbms_lock to VPXADMIN;
grant execute on dbms_job to VPXADMIN;
grant unlimited tablespace to VPXADMIN;

currently instance has been created with the same name VCDB on the new server. so, will that migration will take care of all these things, I mean user creation and previllege kinda thing on my db.

P.S check my first post for my current and proposed scenario. Thanks.

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I think migrating the DB is little hactic then taking the backup of DB and restoring it on the new one as this will gives you all the setting what you have assign previously.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

so, how I should move on? could you please suggest if that going to be tough..

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos