VMware Cloud Community
tech001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VT-capable and 32-bit systems

Hello,

This is probably a dumb question but, I have an ESXi 4.1 server running 3 32-bit OS and need to now run a 64-bit OS. When I try to run the 64-bit OS i get this error:

Capture.PNG

So the next step is to go into the BIOS and change the setting but I need to confirm that when I turn on VT it won't interfere with the other 3 32-bit OS's? If this wasn't a production server I would just jump right in and see what happens but I don't feel like getting fired just yet lol. So if anyone can confirm this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The changing of the setting in the BIOS will not affect any currently installed 32bit Guests, they will not even notice the change.  there is only benefits.  as you will now be able to run 64 bit Guests if your CPU supports it too.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

you are right, VT-x (not VT-d) need to be enabled in the host's BIOS. Along with this I'd suggest you also enable NX (Execution Disable Bit). After saving the BIOS changes you may need to power cycle (power off/power on) the host to take effect.

The changes shouldn't affect the 32 bit guests in any negative way.

André

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The 32-bit guests may switch to using VT-x once you enable it.  If you don't want this to happen, go into the CPU/MMU virtualization settings and select "software for CPU and MMU."

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The changing of the setting in the BIOS will not affect any currently installed 32bit Guests, they will not even notice the change.  there is only benefits.  as you will now be able to run 64 bit Guests if your CPU supports it too.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos