VMware Cloud Community
NickTheBiz
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere client connection problems to ESXi5 host

Looking for some assistance from this knowledgable community.

I'm setting up my first ESXi 5 server for business purposes (having only played around previously) but I'm having connection problems between the vSphere client on my desktop and the server, when the server is on the company domain network.

The client will authenticate - sometimes quickly, sometimes it takes a long time - but then takes an age "loading inventory".  Usually the client then loads but is unresponsive.

Strangely, I've tried moving the server to a separate network, just a basic switch and adsl connection, and have no issue connecting the client software from a laptop on that network to the server.

Moving the server back to the domain, the same problems occur.  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

What else can you tell us about the network that the domain is on? QoS, firewalls, line speeds, etc. There could be a variety of issues at work here.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
NickTheBiz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your response.

It's a SBS 2003 domain, with multiple internet connections all managed by a Sonicwall firewall (content filtered).  Gbit LAN.  The firewall is a managed service solution, but the company that manage it assure me that no ports are blocked internally.  The server is NOT in the DMZ.

That leads me to a question actually, does the ESXi Hypervisor server need internet access to work?  I don't think that's relevent in this issue as it should have.

0 Kudos
NickTheBiz
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need to add the ESXi server to the domain?  And if so, how?

0 Kudos
NickTheBiz
Contributor
Contributor

I can ping the server and it can ping other machines too.  This is the intermittent (attached) error message we get when trying to connect.

0 Kudos
NickTheBiz
Contributor
Contributor

Ok further progress once switching back to static IPs, entering the DNS server, full hostname etc.  and creating DNS records on my DC again.

Back to the issue of basic connectivity but it's very very slow and eventually errors/times out.  See attachment.

0 Kudos
NickTheBiz
Contributor
Contributor

So, no additional ideas, anyone?

0 Kudos