VMware Cloud Community
Masten
Contributor
Contributor

VSphere 5.0 ESXi Installation and VMWare installation

Hi Experts,

I have a problem. I want to put it simple, straight.

1. Downloaded Vsphere 5.0.

2. Installed VMWare Work Station 8.0 on my Thinkpad T410 Laptop. ( 32 Bit XP OS)

3. Installed VSphere 5.0 in the

4. Installed VMWare Client on my 2nd Laptop. ( Same XP 32 bit- OS )

5. Trying to access through the Client. But unable to access that.

I know there is some problem with the IP Address. Can anyone please help me on this.

FYI. I'm on WiFi in my home for both the Laptops. So do not know what to do now.

Can any one throw some light on this or guide me which document to go through.

Thanks,

Masten

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

please provide some details about your network configuration (physical and virtual, addresses, ...) Basically you need to configure the ESXi VM's management network interface in VMware Workstation in "Bridged" mode and either obtain an address via DHCP or assign a static IP address to the ESXi management network in your physical IP range.

André

0 Kudos
Masten
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Can You please clarify some things below

1. What is the Physical and Virtual address. I got 1 ip address in cmd - ipconfig. What is that called as?

2 What is the Virtual address? I'm sorry. I'm not a admin/networking guy.

3. I selected the bridged mode option in the settings in vmware work station before turning on the vmware ESXi 5.0.

4. How can I obtain a address via DHCP?

5. I have a router. and I'm using a LAN to connect my machine on which the vmware workstation and in that the ESXi is installed.

Can You tell me how can I get a static IP?

6. Is it that I need to get from my Internet Service Provider, or something that I need to configure in the router home page. Not sure on that as well.

Thanks,

Masten.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With a router I assume you use private IP addresses (e.g. 192.168.x.x) internally!?

Please provide the output of ipconfig /all from both Laptops. In addition to this let me know which IP address is shown on the ESXi VM's console. Maybe this already shows what needs to be done to get you up and running.

André

0 Kudos
Masten
Contributor
Contributor

Andre,

Thanks a lot for Your help. The issue is resolved.

Appreciate Your help.

Thanks,

Masten.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From the addresses you posted, the IP configuration looks correct. What you may try is to open the "VMware Virtual Network Editor" from either the Windows Start menu or the "Edit" menu in VMware Workstation and configure the Bridged network to use a selected network adapter rather than "Automatic".

André

0 Kudos
Masten
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

After a lot of struggling I got some things.

But as per Your suggestions, I was inside the Virtual Network Editor and in that I see 3 options.

VMnet 0 ,  VMnet1,   VMnet8

I do not know which one should I use now?

Can You helpme in this?

Thanks,

Masten.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's vmnet0 (Type: Bridged) which you may modify.

André

0 Kudos
Masten
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I have selected Bridged option for the VMnet0 and whe nI'm entering the Usernamd and Password it says the error below

Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password

I do not know what to do this with this error.

This is regarding some security or authentication of that user.

I do not know where to change this one. Can You help me on this one.

Thanks,

Masten.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If I understand this correctly you are able to connect to the host using the vSphere Client now!? Are you able to login to the DCUI (the ESXi host's console) using the credentials?

André

0 Kudos