VMware Cloud Community
Hnerym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSpher client logon?

Hi,

Lets make it clear that I am novice.

I installed, ESX5.1( bare metal), [VCenter Server, VSphere Client and VSphere Web client]-> Windows 2008R2.

This is the second installation from scratch.

In my first attempt, when all above were installed, when I tried to logon using VSphere client, I could use the AD ID and I beleive it connecterd me to ESXi through VCenter.

In my second installation, I can logon through Vcenter using Web client, using my AD userID( ID in administrator group). All works fine, I created Datacenter and added ESXi.

However when I click on VSphere Client, it does not accept my AD account and it only accepts root ID for ESXi

I am not sure if this is what is suppose to happen?

So the questions:

1-In order to access ESXis using VSphere Client to go through VCentre, what I should do? I mentioned if I try to logon using client it won't accept AD ID

2-How is it I can use webclient and not client( through VCenter)

< some added information: I renamed ESX from localhost to ESX01 and joined it to domain as part of troubleshooting and NTP client is setup on ESXi, not Windows 2008R2, but time difference is within 30 seconds if not less>

As I mentioned I am novice, neverthless I am trying to give the above experience some logical explanation.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Communities..

I am not sure if I understand your queries correctly, I have tried responding with my understading to your questions

1-In order to access ESXis using VSphere Client to go through VCentre,  what I should do? I mentioned if I try to logon using client it won't  accept AD ID

Are you trying to access your ESXi host or vCenter server using AD ID?

However when I click on VSphere Client, it does not accept my AD account and it only accepts root ID for ESXi

Have you verified that you are accessing your vCenter and not ESXi host using vSphere Client?

vCenter is Management software which allows to manage ESXi host. WebClient is avilable only to manage vCenter server and NOT ESXi host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Communities..

I am not sure if I understand your queries correctly, I have tried responding with my understading to your questions

1-In order to access ESXis using VSphere Client to go through VCentre,  what I should do? I mentioned if I try to logon using client it won't  accept AD ID

Are you trying to access your ESXi host or vCenter server using AD ID?

Have you verified that you are accessing your vCenter and not ESXi host using vSphere Client?

vCenter is Management software which allows to manage ESXi host. WebClient is avilable only to manage vCenter server and NOT ESXi host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
gbhorne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It sounds like you may have the dreaded SSO logon issue. Are you sure you are using the SSO password that you setup while installing SSO? If not you will not be able to login via client. You'll need to make some changes via Web Client. Explain your issue a bit more.

VCP 5.1, CASP, SSSE, CCDA
0 Kudos
Hnerym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks for quick response.

I guess I owe you both apology for the lack of clarity in my original post.

There might be no issue at all and issue resides in my lack of knowledge.

My Test environment:

-ESXi5.1 ; installed on a bare metal( server 2)

-I have windows 2008R2 Active Directory, one physical server(server 1)

-I used VMware Workstation to create a Virtual Windows 2008R2 server (VM-W1 server part of domain)

-I installed VMware Center Server, VMWare VSphere Client and VMWare VSphere Web client on above server(VM-W1)

I started VSplere Web client, using browser, and logged on using Active Directory logon ( SSO was installed during VMware Center installation).

-I created Datacenter1

-I added ESXi host server to the Datacenter.

So all works fine.

I know I should not use DCUI and VSphere client for general configuration ofESXi(unless for troubleshooting) and should use VCenter Server.

So with Web client I can connect to ESXi through Vcenter and manage it and all works fine.

However if now I start Vshpere Client I have two credential logon option:

1-Connecting to ESXi using root and its password.( I guess for direct connection to ESXi?)

2-Using Active Directory ID to logon, which I "presume" will connect me to ESXs through Vcenter?

My issue, if it is an issue, is that I cannot logon with Active Directory to Vshpher client, it does not accept it. But VSphere web client has no issue with that.

As I mentioned it might not be an issue at all. But the AD logon of client won't work.

Sorry for long message

0 Kudos
Hnerym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for reply.

You mentione:

I am not sure how to answer this! Perhaps this is my issue.

When I click on the VShpere client I am being given the option of ESXi server. Perhaps I should use the IP of the server where the Vcenter is installed and logon using AD. In this case I will be accessing VCenter. If this is correct that I will try, you have answered my question.

My mistake. I though when connecting to ESX through Client if AD credential is used will use Vcenter. But it is a twisted logic.

I will try and come back with my finding

Regards,

Henry

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

My issue, if it is an issue, is that I cannot logon with Active  Directory to Vshpher client, it does not accept it. But VSphere web  client has no issue with that

Please post the screenshot of the error message

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When I click on the VShpere client I am  being given the option of ESXi server. Perhaps I should use the IP of  the server where the Vcenter is installed and logon using AD. In this  case I will be accessing VCenter. If this is correct that I will try,  you have answered my question.

Yes you need to put your vCenter name and access it using vSphere Client.

In case if you wish to access your ESXi host using AD credetnails you need to add the host to the domain and provide necessary permission to the ESXi host to access the host

ESXi 4.1 Active Directory Integration

Hnerym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

You answered my question.

It was a simple misundrestanding of how Client logon works..

Using Client I was trying to logon to "ESXi" using active directory and hoping somehow I connect to Vcenter.

This time I used IP address of Vcenter and could logon using AD ID and got access to Vcenter, Datacenter,...

I know it was a stupid mistake/misundrestanding, but suddenly I undrestood where client, webclient, Vcenter and ESXi are standing and how to connect to them...

Many thanks for your help.

cheers

0 Kudos
Hnerym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And thank you for the link relating to ESXi AD integration. Although I am not sure why it would be needed. There is SSH remote access and remote Client access to ESXi,; unless in addition to Vcenter for uniform logon, AD makes passwords uniform,... I will learn more about it when I finished my course!

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Although I am not sure why it would be needed.

It just add additional secruity.. You can avoid users using root account to access using ESXi host. You can keep a track who have logged to the host directly in case any secuirty audit

Hnerym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, again,

cheers

henry

0 Kudos