VMware Cloud Community
SAGEBCI
Contributor
Contributor

VSD Mount - ESX stops booting at VSD

Hello all,

After rebuilding the RAID array that ESX is installed on, ESX stops booting at the VSD -Mount. I am left with the following message: "You have entered the recovery shell. You can try booting to troubleshooting mode to attempt to fix this issue. ...." Then i am left with: "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" and finally: "/ # " The RAID controller is a PERC 6i. As always any and all help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
thecakeisalie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can actually get into the recovery console try typing the following commands at the prompt:

esxcfg-boot -p

esxcfg-boot -b

esxcfg-boot -g

esxcfg-boot -r

Then reboot the server and see if it can load.

SAGEBCI
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. I will keep these notes handy if I should run into this probelm again. Unfortunately, I had already reinstalled ESX, which was a quick solution. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
symsv
Contributor
Contributor

I have similiar issue after upgrading ESX 3.5 to ESX 4.0. In this case, the server boots with ESX 3 (the previous version) without any issue but upgraded ESX 4.0 fails with error "You have entered the recovery shell. You can try booting to troubleshooting mode to attempt to fix this issue. ...." "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off". I could not enter troubleshooting mode of ESX 4.0 and so unable to run the commands given. Any inputs will be of great help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SAGEBCI
Contributor
Contributor

Hi smsv.

I can tell you that i spent more time than it was worth attempting to get the errors fixed. If your "data stores" are on differnt physical set of disks than the install location for ESX just reinstall ESX. As you already know this is a fast process, just as long as your current service console does not have alot of modifications. I did not have a hard time reinstalling and then recreating my networking and adding the VM's back into inventory. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
symsv
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks SAGE, I have no alternate left other than reinstalling. I have moved the Vms to an alternate storage and did a complete reintstall. Need to a raise service request to Vmware Tech Support.

0 Kudos
boadat23
Contributor
Contributor

This happens when the VMDK for the ESX Console has been removed or destroyed. If you tail the messages file it will give you the last error. If you edit your /etc/vmware/esx.conf file you will see where

/boot/cosvmdk

/adv/misc/coscorefile

are located. If it is on a VMFS datastore check to see if the file is there if not restore it from a backup. If not then reload is your fastest option. My coworker should be searching google for this error and will most likely be reloading the esx server after reading this message.

Also refer to KB Article: 1012874

0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi all,

I was also having the same issue after changing the raid controller from PERC5 to PERC6.

But this kb article solves my problem

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101214...

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos