VMware Cloud Community
nava_thulasi39

VSA

Hi,

What will be the purpose of VSA in SMB?

There are some article but it makes to how configure & Implement? Looking for some basic information.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mouhamad
Expert
Expert

Hello Nava,

VSA allow SMB to use the HA and vMotion and other VMware features that previously required the existing of a SAN.

Now with VSA, VMware allows its customers to get benefit of these features without having a SAN.

The below article is really intersting if you're looking for more information.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/19/vsa_virtual_filer/

Regards,

Mouhamad

VCP-DCV, VCP-DT, VCAP-DCD, VSP, VTSP
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with Mouhamad.   It gives companies who could not previosuly afford shared storage a means of having shared storage and thus utilizing some of the advanced features of  vSphere

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We actually have a use for these actually.

What level is the VSA available to SMBs? We don't necessarily need HA at a company we work with, we can switch the failed VM on on a second ESXi box by hand, what I do need is continously replicated storage between two ESXi hosts.

Can we do this with bare essentials? If so, sold.

Essentials plus would be a little bit of a hard sell for this though.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

The VSA works with all levels of vSphere 5, but it *IS* a separate license.

Its not a 'replication' mechanism, but a shared storage mechanism that makes a host's local storage appear as shared (using some clever internal replication).

Basically, you install it on up to 3 hosts, and all 3 hosts can see 1 set of shared storage to use with HA, DRS, vMotion, etc.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Matt wrote:

The VSA works with all levels of vSphere 5, but it *IS* a separate license.

Its not a 'replication' mechanism, but a shared storage mechanism that makes a host's local storage appear as shared (using some clever internal replication).

Basically, you install it on up to 3 hosts, and all 3 hosts can see 1 set of shared storage to use with HA, DRS, vMotion, etc.

I haven't seen anything on this, what is the price like?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Pricing questions would have to go to your VMware rep.  As a partner's employee (EMC) we aren't supposed to discuss it (because every company has their own pricing models, etc).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Troy Clavell wrote:

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/vsphere-storage-appliance/overview....

Thanks, seems like the VSA is kind of out of reach for one of our smaller projects (Requiring essentials plus out of the box makes it a bit expensive being as we're virtualizing only a handful of servers), and the fact that we can't start with one, and add on another VSA a few months down the road.

Hopefully they'll have those features in a future VSA release. Smiley Sad That would really be invaluable to very small setups that want to get their feet wet and don't care about hot high availability and want a cold boot system they can crank by hand and save some money on.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I really do anticipate a whole flood of "VSA doesn't perform as good as my SAN" type posts here when vSphere 5 comes out Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Josh26 wrote:

I really do anticipate a whole flood of "VSA doesn't perform as good as my SAN" type posts here when vSphere 5 comes out Smiley Sad

In other news: The sky is blue, and vSphere 5 licensing still sucks.

The whining should be inversely proportional to how cheap it is.

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Maximum 3 hosts, Essential plus license!! And license cost is heavier than expected.

Hmm,  nothing makes impressive. Smiley Happy

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

nava_thulasi39 wrote:

Hi,

Maximum 3 hosts, Essential plus license!! And license cost is heavier than expected.

Hmm,  nothing makes impressive. Smiley Happy

Yeah, at the price I can get entry level SAN systems. Smiley Sad

On top of that version 1.0 has so many limitations that it removes all flexibility the extra cost could justifty.

0 Kudos