VMware Cloud Community
squeaky369
Contributor
Contributor

VSA Installer: Not enough disk space...

I am back everyone....

We are installing a fresh copy of vCenter 5.1 and VSA 5.1. The vCenter installed just fine, but we are getting:

Could not extract compressed files. Please free additional hard drive space and then retry installation

However, you may think: "Well, that's an easy one, just free up  disk space!"

Yeah, I would if there wasn't 432GB free already...

So will someone please explain why we have THAT much disk space free, and this won't install...

The temp folder is on the C: so it's not that issue. There is only 1 partition on this drive, it is a 500GB drive in RAID 1 (2 500GB Drives) but that shouldn't cause this issue.

EDIT:

This is also a FRESH install of Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. No windows updates installed, nothing done to it. We didn't even change the name of the computer. We tried this approach because when we used a fresh install and did all the windows updates and pre-customized it to how we wanted it, it would do the same thing.

Server:

Whitebox Server

AMD Phenom 2 X4 945 @ 3.00 GHz

500GB HHD in RAID 1 Configuration (Single Partition)

16GB DDR3 RAM

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

I just have a real hard time wrapping my head around why I am having so many problems like this, problems that really no one else is having an no one can answer. We are still using evaluation versions because my management won't buy until they see a production ready envoinment, and I can't get support other then the community. With issues like these, no one here can really help. So, I guess vmware doesn't want our business if their support isn't going to try to even help with these mind numbing issues.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you already verify the checksum of the installation package? Maybe something went wrong with the download and it's corrupted.

André

0 Kudos
squeaky369
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I've tried the ISO and the EXE. Just checked the MD5 on both and they match.

Used the Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier: Hopefully that is accurate.

0 Kudos
squeaky369
Contributor
Contributor

Downloaded again, same error. Sometimes I get an error from the installer saying that it couldn't decompress the files. Searched for what that meant, and the same thing, free up disk space.

vmware_diskspace.JPG

There's proof, I have MORE then enough for this to work.

0 Kudos
westcoaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try browsing the CD and find one of the installers. Then right-click it and choose "Run as Administrator". It could be some weird user account control issue. I've run into this problem when installing other programs (Such as vsphere client), even thought I am already a domain admin. It seems that some installers do not properly request elevation and end up running with lower priviledges.

0 Kudos
squeaky369
Contributor
Contributor

Switched out the hardware, different computer all together.

Whitebox still

Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz

16GB DDR3 RAM

62GB SSD Drive

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 64Bit

All windows updates installed

Was able to get vCenter installed without any issues.

NOT using the automated VSA installer, and the installer EXE in the folder, I was able to get that all the way to 99% of the install, then it failed without any log or error message (which seems to be a standard for vmware).

Event viewer showed this:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: VMware vSphere Storage Appliance Manager. Product Version: 5.1.0.1601. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: VMware, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

After a little research, found that it was the password I was using for the vsa installer causing that issue.

But now, after trying to run the Create VSA Cluster, I am getting this:

Cannot create VSA cluster: Unable to login to VMware Cluster Service at: https://192.168.6.211:4336/services/pseudosvaservice. Please ensure the service is up, and retry.; nested exception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
0 Kudos