VMware Cloud Community
Oli_L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware vSphere 4 Essentials Bundle

I have a question regarding an offer VMware have on at the moment for VMware vSphere 4 Essential Bundle. My question is around the statement where it says you can virtualize three physical servers

Does this mean you can virtualise up to 3 ESX hosts each with 2 sockets each, running as many virtual guests as you want/can?

Thanks in advance

Oli

This is the offer below.

vmware offer

VMware vSphere 4 Essentials Bundle provides an all-in-one solution for small

offices to virtualize three physical servers for consolidating and managing

applications to reduce hardware and operating costs with a low up front

investment.

With the vSphere 4 Essentials Bundle, you can:

• Reduce server capital costs by over 50%

• Cut the deployment time of new servers from weeks to hours

• Centrally monitor and control servers and virtual machines from a single pane of glass

• Automate operations to improve IT responsiveness

VMware vSphere 4 Essentials Bundle includes:

• 3 licenses of VMware ESXi and VMware ESX (deployment-time choice)

• VMFS (Virtual Machine File System)

• 4-way Virtual SMP

• VMware vCenter Server Agent

• VMware vStorage APIs / VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB)

• VMware Update Manager

• VMware vCenter Server for Essentials

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, it means you can have 3 ESX(i) servers, and in "theory" have as many VM's as you'd like. (Not regarding maxiumum configuration limits).

VCP3/4

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, it means you can have 3 ESX(i) servers, and in "theory" have as many VM's as you'd like. (Not regarding maxiumum configuration limits).

VCP3/4

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As the the other poster said it means you can manage three ESX(i) servers and does not limit the number of VMs you can run- what limits them are the maximumx as well as the resources that your ESX(i) present -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
alistairc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a question relating to this (let me know if I should create a new topic to cover it) - if you have the free version of ESXi 4U1 installed on a host, and then purchase Essentials bundle (which ties you to 3 ESXis to 1 VC); can you simply put a new license file into the free ESXi to make it part of the Essentials Bundle, or do you have to totally ESXi reinstall using a specific vSphere Essentials ESXi installer binary? I presume if you have to totally reinstall ESXi, you can do so without modifying your datastores?

Thanks,

Alistair

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You simply replace the license - no need to reinstal

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 24, 2010, at 8:05 AM, alistairc <communities-

0 Kudos
Oli_L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answers. I think VMware have worded this badly when they talk of virtualising three physical hosts. Really it would be clearer if they say running ESX on 3 physical hosts.. and you always have to be cautious of the fine print when you see offers like this.

Although I reckon this is a pretty good offer.

0 Kudos