VMware Cloud Community
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter Server 5.5 U1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 - not

hey,

maybe anybody can help me or has the same issue like me:

first I've installed the vCenter Appliance on ESXi 5.5, this works fine, but with vCenter Server 5.5 Update 1 Windows Server 2012R2 should also be supported see vCenter Server 5.5 Update 1 Release Notes

so I installed vCenter Server 5.5 U1 on a seperate physical machine running windows server 2012 R2, connected my three ESXi's and get the following issue:

all guests are loaded shown in vpshere client, but after approx 5 seconds they got grey coloured and status changed to "not connected", managedIP and port are entered correct at the esxi-settings, and vcenter is able to ping the esxi-server..

any ideas?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think the host is also in disconnected state correct?

0 Kudos
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

correct, and as I already said, I got 3 hosts, and its the same problem with everyone 😕

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just to isolate, Turn off your windown firewall(vCenter machine) completely and see the status.

0 Kudos
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

this was my first thought Smiley Happy

but windows firewall was turned off all the time...

0 Kudos
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

vmware HA is activated, could this be the issue?

unfortunatley I can't try to turn it off right now.. so this should just be an impulse

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok then i suspect this could be a port issue. Telnet to the host (From vCenter server command prompt) with the port 443,902 and 903 and see the response.

Telnet <server ip> 443

BTW, did you try to connect to the host directly using vSPhere client ? Instead of giving vCenter IP, give host IP.

0 Kudos
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

I'm able to connect via telnet to ip and ports 443,902 and 903..

if I would not be able to connect, I would get any error while adding the server, right? and whats really strange, the first approx 5 seconds, it seems like everything works, all guests are loaded and shown, and suddendly the connection breaks..

and yes I'm able to connect to all three ESXi server directly with vSphere client..

have you tried this setup by your own already? and does it work?

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Please check DNS, on vcenter and esxi resolves vice-verse.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

when I first tried to connect the three ESXi server, I didnt have an dns server running, so I entered ip and hostname to the etc/hosts file on my windows 2012 r2, results in ping OK with IP adress and hostname..

I also tried to add the ESXi's with the IP adress, same effect, ESXi's and guests disconnected after a short delay...

host IP (vCenter) was entered in vpxa.cfg .. so I don't think it's an DNS problem.. am I right?

0 Kudos
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

What infrastructure / hardware is this setup on? I had a similar issue on my home lab using VMware Workstation nested ESXi 5.5 with Windows 2012 vCenter ... all running of my Lenovo Thinkpad X230. I can't remember off hand what I did to resolve it, but will reply if it comes back to me soon.

Cheers,

Jon

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you added the host with the IP address then I dont this its a  DNS issue. Did you remove the esxi hosts from the old vCenter appliance or it is in disconnected state? It will automatically goes to disconnect state when you connect to the new vcenter. But I am just curious to know the status of the host in the old vCenter server.

0 Kudos
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

@jon munday:

there is one new fujitsu server who is configurated as backupserver and should also work as vCenter, and 3 new seperate fujitsu servers running VMware ESXi 5.5, would be great if it comes back to your mind Smiley Happy

@at10:

yes I removed the esxi hosts form the vCenter appliance before I connected them to the new vCenter, so I can't tell you what will happen if I leave them connected at the appliance.. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
uboro
Contributor
Contributor

any new hints?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a support agreement with VMware? I would recommend to open a support request

0 Kudos