VMware Cloud Community
seanbrewer
Contributor
Contributor

VMware tools in Ubuntu 12.04 - can't get it to autostart

Good afternoon-

I have a couple 5.1 hosts running a handful of Ubuntu 12.04 vm's. I have successfully installed VMware tools, but the tools don't automatically come back on after a vm reboot.

To be clear, the tools installed without issue. In the VMware client, it tells me they are isntalled and up-to-date, but are not running. I need to figure out how to get them to autostart after each reboot and also how to manually start from the command line (if autostart is not possible).

Thank you!

6 Replies
morecw
Contributor
Contributor

I've got exactly the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

VMware ESXi 5.1 Guest: Ubuntu Server 12.04
0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert

The latest release in 5.1u1 works fine. Have you tried these?

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
morecw
Contributor
Contributor

mine is apparently 5.1.0 and I only just installed it 2 weeks ago! Any tips for upgrading?

0 Kudos
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could try this utility out: Ubuntu / Debian Linux: Services Configuration Tool to Start / Stop System Services

Looks like you can set boot service state and manage all system services from a single control GUI system.

alowther_ch
Contributor
Contributor

I had problems with 12.04 when it came out since parts of the VMware tools didn't work right with the newer kernel.  Some services would start, but since some failed upstart reported it as stopped. 

I ended up ditching VMware Tools for open-vm-tools, which you just install using apt.

morecw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I'll try that when I get a moment. Just out of interest, what's the real consequence of not running VMware tools? I do everything virtually by command line so I don't need a fast GUI to administrator the guest or do any copy/pasting. Also it seems to be serving web pages pretty good. The only thing that seems off is it takes about 20mins to take a snapshot!

0 Kudos