VMware Cloud Community
MrNapoli75
Contributor
Contributor

VMware snapshots impacting to Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster

I am writing in hopes of gaining knowledge on an issue with VMWARE SNAPSHOTS that just started happening recently when being performed on VM systems specifically our Windows Server Failover cluster groups. In the past, I was able to launch several snapshots at once instead of one at a time with no issues being reported. But for some reason one of our important front-side facing customer portal website's "Clustered" went down. We simply rebooting the server and the other node in the cluster tookover.

It is my understanding that SNAPSHOTs to VM's were transparent and should have never impacted the communication between 2 clustered nodes. I have adhered to the VMWARE KB and best practices for supporting microsoft clustering technology.

I probably need more understanding on how SNAPSHOT's really work. I am also trying to find away to monitor the performance of the I/O throughput between the VMWARE host and NETAPPS shared storage solution.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Message was edited by: a.p. - fixed (all caps)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

What VMware product are your hosting your guests on, so we can move this discussion to the proper Community?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What kind of snapshots are you talking about. Snapshots on the storage system or snapshots in VMware? If the latter, afaik this is unsupported by VMware.

André

0 Kudos
MrNapoli75
Contributor
Contributor

Performing SNAPSHOTS through VCENTER Console....Our current version is Vsphere ESXi 4.1.....

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

thread moved to VMware ESXi™ 4 Community

0 Kudos