VMware Cloud Community
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware sandbox solution

Hi,

Not quite sure where to ask this question, so please move this to the right forum.

I am looking for a solution that can sandbox a application we have. We have some physical workstations that we are not allowed to install software on, but we need to run some applications, so we want to download these, run these in a closed/sandbox environment, and leave no information on the workstations. So I am wondering if VMware has any kind of solution for this, if so, what do we need regarding licenses and software... for example do we need a vsphere environment... I have seen something called ThinApp but not sure if this is correct solution? Please advice.

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I guess VMware Workstation or VMware Player would be suitable for you.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

how restrictive is the "no information/installation on the physical machine" requirement? Because with VMWare Workstation or Player you need at least to put those applications on the physcial machine besides the actual virtual machine (files) with your sandboxed application.

If the vendor of the software running on the physical box for example ceases support if anything "unwanted" is found on the PC you won't be able to accomplish that sandbox. I assume that the sandboxed apllications also needs access to that physcial PC in some way (otherwise it won't make sense to run the sandbox on that particular PC)!?

What OS is running on the physical machine?

I for example heard of similar issues in medical/hospital environments where the controlling workstations for e.g. a PET-scanner only allowed certified software on them, you were not even allowed to install some anti-virus application for example. I would leave such system completely untouched, same applies for other special environments. There is a reason why software installation is restricted or even not allowed at all.

cykVM

0 Kudos
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for answers.

I`ll try to explain more:) The customer has a application that they want to run on a physical workstation, and that application have dependencies for example .net. When you click on this application it will off course then need these dependencies and install them, and that is the problem.

The customer wants to "bundle" everything into one .exe/msi file, every thing that the application need. So when the customer copies that application bundle onto the workstation, and double click on it and use the application it will run in a sandbox environment, and when they are finished there should not be any .net installed on the workstation, and no programs to remove from the control panel. They should just remove the .exe/msi file. And the application need access to the physical workstation. Regarding the OS im not sure, but I think its Windows 7/8 or Server 2008 R2, if need to know I can check...

The customer is referring to vapp (because some one told him that this could be used), but I'm not familiar with vapp, and the customer was not quite sure either if it was vapp Smiley Happy that was recommended.

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here's some basic information about vApp: Understanding the Power of VMware vApps

That does not seem to be the solution you need. Maybe VMware ThinApp gives you the desired features, see VMware ThinApp: Agentless Application Virtualization for Easier Migration | United States

or How to virtualize an application using VMware ThinApp | VMware Support Insider - VMware Blogs

0 Kudos
OleWeel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok it seems like the Thinapp is the correct solution, i looked at the video, but a question. Will it automatically take dependencies, for example when a application need .NET ?

Regards Andreas
0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have no personal experiences with ThinApp but from reading this tutorial you could integrate e.g. .NET framework (or even JRE etc.) with the capture machine: Thinapp Best Practices: Keep It Clean - The SLOG – SimonLong/Blog

You may also have a look into the Deployment Guide: https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware_ThinApp_Deployment_Guide.pdf