VMware Cloud Community
RaymondWayne
Contributor
Contributor

VMware migration from client's DC to my company's DC

Hi, I would like to get some input about the VMware migration.   

Background:   My client changed their vendor to my company and currently they have few ESX4.1 & 5.1 in the vendor DC.  Now we will not able to purchase/transfer those esx and we need to build new ESX and perform the migration.  

So i would like to ask gentlemen's idea any key steps and consideration/dependencyi need to take note?  Please share your opinions and much appreciated.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Before giving i would like know more about you current vmware infra...

As you mentioned esxi is with vendor.i understood that  esxi server are on vendor premises..please correct if i am  wrong..

Where is your infrastructure going installed.?

What kind connection between your old and new site.

I can help you if you provide thoes details

0 Kudos
RaymondWayne
Contributor
Contributor

hi, yes, the ESXi currently with client A's vendor B premises.   Those ESXi owned by B and not going to transfer to my company and both DCs are in different location.  There is a number of client's VM running on vendor B's ESX and we need to migrate those VM to our new ESX.   

Currently:  

Vendor B's DC -  Hong Kong , Australia

Client A office -  18 country in Asia

Due to client's IT decision, we need to consolidate all servers(P&V) in our DC - Singapore and Hongkong.    Our new VMware infra build from fresh.   We have proposed to setup a WAN link between vendor DC's and our DC.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would not limit myself to gentlemen's opinions. This isn't 1963.

0 Kudos
sispatt
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Raymond,

While migrating, you need to decide on a lots of stuff:-

1. No. of Hosts and configuration. You need to decide the number of hosts by first creating a master sheet containing the list of current ESXI environment, number of virtual machines,their hardware details, and the new number of virtual machines you are going to have.

2. Depending on point no.1 we can then decide to have number of new hosts and do capacity management accordingly.

3. New Hardware to be purchased. Whether you would like to move to HP or Dell chassis?

4. Would you like to use flex fabric or flexnet adaptors?

5. Storage criteria.

6. Network consideration

7. Link for migration,( Whether you will do P2V directly? or copy the .vmdk to shared location and then copy it across)

Please give some more inputs and can advise.

0 Kudos