I already have Essentials kit 6 license and tried to apply it but no luck

please advise

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In addition to up/downgrading licenses, you can also split/combine licenses. So in case you currently have a single license for 6 CPUs, you can split it into two licenses, one with 2, and one with 4 CPUs, and then upgrade just the 2 CPU license for the host that you've already upgraded.

André

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to purchase a new 7.0 license. You cannot use a 6.7 license and upgrade Esxi \ VCSA to 7.0

from vmware article:

If you upgrade an ESXi host to a version that starts with a different number, you must apply a new license. For example, if you upgrade an ESXi host from 6.x to 7.x, you need to license the host with a vSphere 7 license.

Licensing ESXi Hosts After Upgrade

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have active SnS, you can upgrade your vSphere license from 6.x to 7.x for free inside your MyVMware portal. If you do not have an active support agreement, it will be a paid upgrade.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1. When ever you perform a major release upgrade like 4.x->5.x->6.x->7.x vCenter and ESXi will switch back to 60 day eval mode. You have to apply the right license keys after you finished the upgrade

2. You upgrade the existing license keys within your my.vmware.com portal. You need active Subscription for that task.

Nothing changed in the last 10 years.

Regards,
Joerg

nbgiridar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you all, I have an active support (Third party) but I have two more hosts under this licenses which are on 6.7

so will it be an issue if I upgrade the license

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In addition to up/downgrading licenses, you can also split/combine licenses. So in case you currently have a single license for 6 CPUs, you can split it into two licenses, one with 2, and one with 4 CPUs, and then upgrade just the 2 CPU license for the host that you've already upgraded.

André

nbgiridar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you all, I managed to split the license and upgrade it

thanks again for your support

0 Kudos