VMware Cloud Community
Danielle2305
Contributor
Contributor

VMware frozen screen

I have one host with VMWare ESXi 6.5.0, 92988722 that constantly freezes on the "vmware screen". 

When I look at the vsphere, I cannot access this host and the alert is "Host connection and power state" - "Cannot synchronize host xx.xx.xx.xx".

What I have to do to have access again, it to reboot the machine. When it comes up again, it works for a couple hours and after some time, it presents the same error.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you please give more information such as:

- Any hardware changes recently (what is your hardware)

- Any Updates or Upgrades recently (On ESXi itself or any drivers)

- Using some kind of special hardware like USB dongles

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
When the freeze occurs, you can physically access the server console, what does it show ?
Try to check the Server Hardware logs.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
Danielle2305
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply, Ardaneh.

No changes or  upgrades done recently. No USB dongles either.

I tried to open a support request on HP and they requested the hardware logs. Also recommended to upgrade the "iLO" and the "BIOS".

I did everything and I'm still having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Danielle2305
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning e_espinel.

Thank you for your reply 🙂

When the freeze occurs, I can access the server console physically and through iLO normally.

I just sent the server logs to HP.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
As the Build is 9298722 this corresponds to Update 2C, it would be good to apply Update 3 (Build 13932383).

In the screenshot of the console I do not see the Host IP is so or just delete it for protection?

In which device of the server is the VMware vSphere installed (internal SAS/SATA disk, USB key, SSD disk)?

Can you ping the Host IP when the problem occurs?

Have you tried restarting Management Agents from the ESXi console when web access is lost?
The steps:
Connect to the console of the ESXi host.
Press F2 to customize the host and log in as root.
Go to Troubleshooting Options and choose Restart Management Agents.

Another option is to use an SSH client, connect remotely to your  ESXi host, and use a command-line code

/etc/init.d/hostd restart

/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
Danielle2305
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning e_espinel.

This solution worked:

Connect to the console of the ESXi host.
Press F2 to customize the host and log in as root.
Go to Troubleshooting Options and choose Restart Management Agents.

But it seems a provisory remediation. Should I consider it final? Or a should apply everytime it happens?

thank you!

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
for some reason the web access to the ESXi Host was disconnected, the applied method is valid and is used to quickly resolve this type of connection problems.
The first option would be to upgrade VMware to at least Update 3 (Build 13932383). Updates are recommended at least once a year to avoid problems already reported and corrected.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos