VMware Cloud Community
MrSnapshot
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Vcenter convert

Please HELP!!
I've been for several weeks trying to convert one of my servers from BM to VM to run on Esxi 5.5 and at just doesnt wanna work.
I think i have tried everything, and by everything I really mean everything.
I've done this convert so many times without ever having these kind of problems.
Not on this server but en almost exact copy of it, same OS, almost same config.

To the problem...

The BM machine is a DELL PowerEdge T410 with windows SBS 2008 x64, AD, EXCH. RAID 1, two 300 GB SAS on Perc H700

The server is running well and no obvious eventlog errors or such and it starts reboots with no major eventerror.

None that would matter for the final reslut of the convert atleast. (I Think?! )

The convert runs 100% successful and no errors.

Ive been trying to convert this server to 3 different servers with the same result!

1, HP Proliant ML350 Gen 9 raid 1 2 X 600GB SAS (Fails) esxi 5.5 ( HP Custom Image for this Hardware )

2, HP Proliant ml110 gen (unknown) SATA Raid, Esxi 5.0 ( HP Custom Image for this Hardware )
3, DELL Poweredge T410 Exact replica of the server im trying to convert from BM to VM from. DELL Custom Image for this hardware

The result is always the same.

The server boots ONCE, I can login.. theres no desktop icons for sometime and 5 minutes later i can see them. The server runs

slow and feels like nothing is happening. After sometime its starts asking för drivers for unknow device, etc. And this continues for ever and ever.

Looking for drivers for this and that.... untill you're about to totally loose it!!

Pci to pci Host and what not..

Nothing seems to work... WTF!!

I tried to install vmware tools and that doesnt change anything. I tried to install drivers from the vmware repository folder, and nothing.

As soon as I reboot the server... Taa daa!!1 BSOD 0x7b. Same problem on all three servers. Im totally about to loose it!

I've tried everything by the "book".

Injecting SCSI drivers doesnt change a thing still BSOD.

If i restart the server with "Last known good config" the  server starts up again, and I can restart the work again, and with the same result.. BSOD.

Please all you GURUS!! Help me out, I have totally run out of ideas now, "third server was not the charm"

Checklist of what have done..

1. Disable UAC

2. Run as admin
3. uninistall unneeded software and programs (AV, UPS and such)

4. Only convert c:\

5. Disable unneeded services on BM before convert

6. Disable auto driver update from within windows

7. Create i new VM within Esxi with spec that is similair with BM and attach converted virtual disk

8. changed controller type to all different kinds make it to boot.

I googled and googled for all kinds of solutions and came up empty handed so far, nothing that would kick me in the right direction.

Im somewhat new to this with VM and have only done it for a couple of years and but it feels like I got old in the game rather fast! 😞

It feels like the converted machine finds the server hardware or something like it. Hard to explain.

I have converted this server probably 25 times to the different servers mentioned above and the result is the same everytime.

Im sorry for writing a book about this whole dilemma, but i really would need a solution before i totally run out of space on the server.

Please advice!!

Best Regards,

Stephane

2 Replies
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you taken a look at VMware KB: Troubleshooting a virtual machine converted with VMware Converter that fails to boot with...? Number two might be relevant for you.

As for the missing drivers, if you open up device manager are you able to find out what the devices are by Googling their device ID values?

MrSnapshot
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your quick response.
I Would say that I have tried it before to change it in the vmdk file, and as for the device ID from device manager I havent tried that.
What kinda stomped me was that I converted an identical machine, same OS and same hardware specs as this one and that one just worked perfectly.

Not a single problem, but with this one Im totally banging my head against the wall.

I will have a look at the device manager and try to figure out what that hardware is.
I just dont get how its possible. I converted this server yesterday to and identical server, but running with Esxi 5.5.
If the virtual machine finds new hardware, shouldnt the drivers already be on the machine? The hardware is identical!
Maybe Im wrong! As i wrote, im kinda a new to this with virtualization.
Ill have a look in the device manager and double check the vmdk file.
Will keep you posted!
And thanks again for taking the time! 🙂

Stephane

0 Kudos