VMware Cloud Community
Shepcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Tools on Remote Desktop Services VM

I'm about to P2V an existing physical server running Windows Server 2016 with MultiPoint Role (Remote Desktop Services).  Server hosts about 25 existing user profiles.  My question is regarding the installation of VMware Tools.  Is there a specific procedure for installing VMware Tools on this type of server setup?

Thanks for any input.

Ken

4 Replies
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No specific procedure required to install VMware tools on RDS servers.

VCIX, NCAP
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Normal procedure. Install vmware tools on server 2016.

Alessandro Roemo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
Shepcon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input from everyone.

One thing I failed to mention is that my single host is running an older version of ESXI at 5.5.0 6480324, which is around Update3 F for 5.5.  I currently have several Windows 2016 Server VMs running on this host without issue with VMware Tools version 10.0.9 build 3917699.  For the new RDS VM, should I manually download and install VMware Tools 10.3?  Plan is to upgrade the host to ESXI 6.5 and then 6.7 but this will not occur until later in the fall.

Ken

0 Kudos
nparas5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello There,

You can install from VC directly without ny special procedure its normal for all w.r.t to esxi host running. Just go to in Center Server, right-click a virtual machine, click Install/Upgrade VMware Tools.

There is no special procedure for any windows servers running on different roles.

If you want to supress reboot and install vmtools, just select "Advanced Upgrade" options and paste the below command:

/S /v"/qn REBOOT=R"