VMware Cloud Community
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Tools Question

What, if any, would be the impact of running 3.5 tools on a vSphere environment? Our update window for our VMs comes up in the second week in November. I can update the 3.5 hosts now to 4.0 without too much issue unless there is a negative impact of the 3.5 tools on 4.0 host technology.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

I didn't notice any impact. I migrated 3.5 VMs to a 4.0 Host and upgraded the VMware Tools and afterwards the VM Hardware. No problem Smiley Happy

AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

No problems at all.

But you have to upgrade VMware Tools to latest before upgrading VM to hardware ver 7

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot guys. I watched the videos they didn't mention any ramifications about leaving the VMware Tools at 3.5 for an extended period of time. I figured you would want to upgrade to VMware Tools 4 before upgrading virtual hardware. The tools load drivers that I am sure the new hardware will need.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Answered by Anton and Schepp.

0 Kudos
roddy
Contributor
Contributor

FYI: I have just noticed a backup issue using the new version of vmtools. I am using a third party utility, vRanger 4.1, that will not quiesce the guest. After installing the older version if VMTools, everything works fine. The error I get with the new VMTools has something to do with an index being out of range. This is a known issue with Vizioncore and is not due to be fixed till the next release. If there is no impact other than not being able to upgrade the hardware to v7, then I will have to revert my vm's that I have not already upgraded the hardware on.

0 Kudos
Khue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good stuff roddy. Anyone notice any issue with esXpress?

0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't know of any known issues with esXpress and Vmware tools. However for quiescing we are relying on Vmware for the quiesce process so if it can't do the quiesce because of a tools issue then we have an issue.

Pete@esXpress

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos