VMware Cloud Community
JessOlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Tools 9.4.6 - Customization Issues

Recently upgraded our Windows 2008 R2 template to the latest tools (v.9.4.6 - 1770165). After upgrading, I couldn't get any guest customizations to run when deploying VMs from that template - they'd all show an error in the VM events log "An error occurred while customizing VM vm name. For details reference the log file <No Log> in the guest OS."

Uninstalled tools (v.9.4.6) on the template and installed v.9.4.5 - everything started working again, customizations working properly.

Anyone else experience this with the latest tools?

(This was a VM on ESXi 5.5u1 1892794 attached to a vCenter 5.5u1b 1750787)

Tags (2)
14 Replies
chrmaier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I have the same issue but no solution.

0 Kudos
JessOlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried updating to 9.4.6 on a separately-built template in a separate vCenter, and the same issue occurred. Seems like there's something wrong with this release of Tools...

0 Kudos
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After reading your post, I upgraded my 2008 R2 template to 9.4.6 build-1770165 and it is working without any problems.  Did you open a case with support?

0 Kudos
JessOlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't yet opened a case with support as it's not a significant enough issue if it's just affecting my environment and I have a workaround. Did you provision a machine from the template and run guest customizations from within the Deploy Template wizard?

0 Kudos
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I deployed the VM from a template and used the option to select an existing customization spec.  It worked in two different environments.

0 Kudos
chrmaier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried it in two different environments and both have this issue. But I can live with the workaround at the moment.

0 Kudos
heckmamr
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar issue when attempting to clone a Windows 2012 R2 VM. The version of tools installed in the source VM is v9.4.6 - 1770165. I'm getting different behavior from different VMs with the same OS and the same version of tools. Guest customization runs and completes successfully on some, but others produce the "no log" error.

I have opened a case, but so far I haven't been provided with a workaround. What is the workaround that you're using?

0 Kudos
JessOlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I uninstalled v9.4.6 in the template and installed v9.4.5. You'll get the message in vCenter that the Tools are out of date, but at least I haven't seen any issues with 9.4.5.

Can be found here:

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/5.5u1/windows/x64/VMware-tools-9.4.5-1598834-x86_64.exe

heckmamr
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I already tried uninstalling tools 9.4.6 and going back to 9.4.5. I still had the same error.

When the problem happens, the temporary directory where guestcustutil.exe would be injected/copied is there. However, the files (including guestcustutil.exe) are not there. I'm not exactly sure how those files get injected/copied into the VM, or where to look for a log that could help to explain why the files aren't there. There's log files in C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-imc, but guestcust.log is from a previous guest customization and toolsDeployPkg.log is empty.

0 Kudos
chrmaier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I updated to 9.4.10-2068191 and it works again. At least at one of our two clusters, the other I will check later.

0 Kudos
np123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Removing and reinstalling VMtools 9.4.6 on my 2008R2 and 2012R2 base vms resolved this same error with customization: "An error occurred while customizing VM . For details reference the log file <No Log> in the guest OS." I reinstalled the same version, not 9.4.5, FWIW.

0 Kudos
jkdiaz
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this when I upgraded my template with windows updates and VMware tools upgrade. After I did this my customization stopped working. Couldnt figure this out until this post tipped me the right direction.

After much troubleshooting here is what I ran into and how I fixed it.

I realized that I upgraded VMtools to build-1734305 (you can see this by opening the about vmware tools running in the taskbar) - for me this broke customization.

Uninstalled VMtools on my newly deployed vm for testing. Reinstalled version build - 1598834 and after the reboot and a couple of mins after boot up - it started the customization process.

So went back into my template 2012 and uninstalled the new version back to the build 1598834 and that should resolve my issue.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've never had issues  like this with my 2012(R2) templates.

Can you confirm if that issue is still present in newer Tools versions, e.g. the latest 9.4.11 Build 2400950 from here:

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/latest/windows/index.html

Having a look at the VM's vmware.log file would be interesting as well.

Note: It's fully supported to run more recent tools like on older hosts, see the compatibility matrix:

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
jkdiaz
Contributor
Contributor

I have confirmed that after installing build 9.4.11 on the template - I did not have an issue with the customization and appreciate your post to check on it.

At this point I will continue using the 2 versions of vmware tools that I did not have an issue with.

Thanks again - 🙂

0 Kudos