VMware Cloud Community
ami857
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools 5.1

I have a problem with VMware tools. After upgrade from VSphere 4.1 to 5.1 I tried to upgrade also VMware tools. I have done the upgrade on all the servers (all Windows Server 2008& 2008R2) but on a Windows Server 2008 R2 with a Microsoft SQL 2008 I can’t do the upgrade.

When I put the mouse on the VMware Tools icon it says that: VMware Tools can be updated. I click on the icon; it opens the VMware Tools window then I click Update tools, but nothing is happening. I have restarted the server, tried again but I can’ update the Tools.

I have also tried from VSphere client to upgrade (Guest – Install/Upgrade VMware Tools), but no success.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you confirm if these are the symptoms:

- Your VM has ESXi 5.1 VMware Tools installed and is running on a 5.0 or earlier host.

- The vSphere Client and the vSphere Web Client show the VMware Tools status as "Running (Current)"

- The vSphere Web Client displays a yellow warning in the VM's Summary tab:

"VMware Tools is out of date on this VM." "Update VMware Tools"

- The "VMware Tools Version Status" column under "Related Objects / Virtual Machines" shows "Current" with a red "alert" icon

- When the VM is running on the 5.1 host, the "VMware Tools Version Status" column shows "Current" with a green "ok" icon

- The vSphere Client shows neither a warning nor a red "alert" next to "Current" in the version column under the "Virtual Machines" tab

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you get any error when running the setup manually? Also check the eventlog. Also, updating VMware Tools from within the guest through the tray icon is deprecated and doesn't work on ESXi 5.x anymore.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would manually install.

0 Kudos
ami857
Contributor
Contributor

• the host is running on 5.1.0 (VMKernel Release Build 799733)
  • On the VSphere client it shows Running (out of date) with a yellow warning sign
  • first I've tried to update from the VSphere client and then from the VM but it's not working
0 Kudos
ami857
Contributor
Contributor

I have no errors when running the setup from the VM and also no error when running from the VSphere Client. First I've tried from the VSphere client as  I mentioned. 

0 Kudos
ami857
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried and manually. No luck:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos