VMware Cloud Community
montechnology
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Server Version 2.0.2 - Migrate VM's to ESXi 5.5?

Hey Guys

I'm running an old Dell T410 server with VMware Server Version 2.0.2 (Build 203138) running on top of Serve 2008R1.

I'm looking to install a new server and want to run ESXi 5.5. 

Is it possible to convert VM's from VMware Server Version 2.0.2 (Build 203138) to ESXi 5.5?

Alternatively I am running Shadowprotect. If I can't convert, is it possible to do a HIR to ESXi 5.5 from a Shadowprotect image of a VM from VMware Server Version 2.0.2 (Build 203138)?

Finally I was looking at running ESXi 5.5 Essentials (non plus) on the new physical host and then use the old host as a temp backup with ESXi 5.5 too. Do I need to buy 2x ESXi 5.5 licences to run it on both machines?

If you want more spec about the network let me know.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

you must convert the server virtual machines to be able to run it at ESXi 5.5.

Take a look to this, maybe it is helpful:

How to migrate vmware server virtual machines to vSphere ESXi

About Essentials, it permits to manage 3 servers (esxi servers) with up to 2 processors each:

vSphere Editions, What is vSphere? Leading Virtual Infrastructure | United States

But, with just Essentials you will not have things like HA.

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello,

you must convert the server virtual machines to be able to run it at ESXi 5.5.

Take a look to this, maybe it is helpful:

How to migrate vmware server virtual machines to vSphere ESXi

About Essentials, it permits to manage 3 servers (esxi servers) with up to 2 processors each:

vSphere Editions, What is vSphere? Leading Virtual Infrastructure | United States

But, with just Essentials you will not have things like HA.

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Welcome to communities.

you should follow cold migration instead of hot migration .

If not works then should go with standalone conversion.

montechnology
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Pablo I'll have a look at those links Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
montechnology
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey lakshya32 what do you mean by cold migration?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Migrating in powered off state.

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos