VMware Cloud Community
marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Player 5.0.1 in ESXi5 VM - Bridged network issue

Hi community,

I have the strange situation that I have to run the Player in a VM that is running on ESXi 5.0. Please don't ask why I just have to deal with this situation for now, no alternatives at the moment Smiley Sad

The VM is also set up properly so that VMs run fine on the Player, except for one thing: The bridged networking is not working, From the Player VM I can ping the ESXi VM and vice versa, however from the Player VM I can't reach anything else.

I also did a check with vmnetcfg.exe and the correct vNIC on the ESXi VM is selected. There are also no VLANs that could interfere, so I'm a little bit lost what could be the issue here.

General question is, is it even possible to do this properly in my current scenario? I can't use NAT since the Player VMs require their own IP to be visible to the physical network. Is there any way how to fix this?

Thanks a lot in advance

Best regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure, but modifying the port group policies might help (see Edit Security Policy for a vSphere Standard Switch)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
airluck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Murburg,

try to select the bridge adapter manually instead of use automatic selection!

0 Kudos
marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi airluck,

thanks for your response, but that's what I did. I specifically selected the corerct adapter with vmnetcfg.exe instead of automatic, but it didn't help.

The Bridge protocol is also activated on this adapter.

Best regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure, but modifying the port group policies might help (see Edit Security Policy for a vSphere Standard Switch)

André

0 Kudos
marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi a.p.,

thanks for your suggestion. This sounded promising, but unfortunately it didn't seem to help. The vSwitch already had "Mac address change" and "Forged transmist" accepted and rejecting it didn't make a difference. Promiscuous mode is not of interest in this situation I guess.

Best regards

marburg

0 Kudos
marburg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi André,

you were right from the start. It actually was the Promiscuous Mode that needs to be accepted as a security policy exception.

Thanks again

Best regards

marburg

0 Kudos