VMware Cloud Community
VCPGuru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Performance Monitoring (Windows 2008 page file)

Today one of my VMs filled up the memory and the Windows 2008 host wrotes a lot of memory to the pagefile.

In VMware under Memory usage only 40% was shown as used memory.

In esxtop I switched to memory but didnt found any counter which indicates that the VM was swapping inside the OS.

Under esxtop the MEMSZ was 4096, SZTGT = 4300, TCHD = 1600, %ACTV = 26%

How could I monitor if a VM is swapping memory inside the OS? Powershell?

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards Simon Ciglia
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The Paging File: % Usage and Paging File: % Usage Peak counters in the native Perfmon could be used.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You really only have 2 choices to do this:

1) you can monitor pagefiel usage from the guest, as you suggested. Perfmon should be adequate for this, and be able to provide more useful information. I would consider monitoring the Process objects and their page faults and pagefile bytes counters to find out which procs are paging.

2) you can put your pagefile on a dedicated VMDK and somehow monitor that file. This will only give you system-wide IO information to that volume.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The Paging File: % Usage and Paging File: % Usage Peak counters in the native Perfmon could be used.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos