VMware Cloud Community
EcoFreak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware + Microsoft Windows Server Licenses

Hi guys Smiley Happy

I have a couple of doubts regarding Windows Server licensing using VMware HyperVisor.

We currently have a couple of licenses of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and we are deploying a new server.

It is a server with two cores that will be running VMware HyperVisor with 5-6, give or take a machine.

How does the licensing work? Do I have to have a license per running virtual machine?

Thank you in advance Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielOlofsson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In my case I will have a server (two CPU'S) running VMware ESXi. I will want to be running like 5-6 machines at the same time. So I only have to have 3 Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard R2. Right?

That is correct! Smiley Happy

Regarding powered off machines, do the licenses apply? For instance, have a few VMware Machines powered off but ready to be turned on (to the maximum of 6 at the same time). Can I do this?

Licensing only affects "running instances" so the answer to your final question is yes!
:smileygrin:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

check if this is what you are looking for.

Microsoft Volume Licensing Brief - Licensing Microsoft Server Products in Virtual Environments

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
EcoFreak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The document is too confusing. Can you explain it?

I'm just wondering if I have to have a license for each Virtual Machine running or, on license of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 can be used by multiple (how many?) virtual machines.

Thanks Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This can very depending on your contract with Microsoft but if I remember right:

With Standard you can run 1 copy of Windows Server, with Enterprise you can run 4 copies and with Datacenter you can run unlimited copies.

Datacenter is licensed per socket and the rest per host.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
DanielOlofsson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is not very easy to understand and it depends on your environment and how many physical hosts you have.

You only have 2 licensing options. Standard or Datacenter. (There is no Enterprise license for 2012.)

All licenses are bound to the physical server (ESXi hosts in this case). Not the virtual machines.

1 license covers 2 physical CPUs. (Cores doesn't matter)

With 1x standard license you are allowed to run 2x Virtual Server 2012s on 1 host.
So if you for example have 6x Server 2012s you need 3x Standard licenses on 1 host.
If you run 21x Server 2012s you need 11x Standard or 1x Datacenter on 1 host.

With 1x Datacenter license you are allowed to run unlimited Virtual Server 2012's on 1 host so you have to calculate what your price is for x Standard vs 1x Datacenter and depending on how many Virtual Server 2012 you plan to install there will be a breaking point for where the Datacenter license is "best buy". I think the breaking point is somewhere around 7x Server 2012s but don't remember exactly...

If you run several hosts with HA you need some more calculation since the Server 2012 can vMotion to another host and licenses can't "float" so you need full licenses for both host 1 and host 2.

If you use the Datacenter license you can run unlimited Virtual Server 2012s on 1 host. If you have 2 hosts you need 2 Datacenter licences for unlimited.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to help you. Your MS reseller should be able to help you as well but I my case they where not 100% sure so I had to read the licensing guides over and over again to finally get it Smiley Happy

Another guide which I prefer. Page 7-13
http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/7/0/7707E736-4557-4310-9709-87358F7E6D1A/WindowsServer2012V...

EcoFreak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks DanielOlofsson :smileygrin:

In my case I will have a server (two CPU'S) running VMware ESXi. I will want to be running like 5-6 machines at the same time. So I only have to have 3 Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard R2. Right?

Regarding powered off machines, do the licenses apply? For instance, have a few VMware Machines powered off but ready to be turned on (to the maximum of 6 at the same time). Can I do this?

0 Kudos
DanielOlofsson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is correct! Smiley Happy

Licensing only affects "running instances" so the answer to your final question is yes!
:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
EcoFreak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos