VMware Cloud Community
btnottrue
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Linux Repository Key Expired

VMware Repository Key Expired

these key are expired http://packages.vmware.com/tools/keys

pub   1024D/04BBAA7B 2010-09-08 [expired: 2017-07-25]

uid                  VMware, Inc. -- Linux Packaging DSA Key -- <linux-packages@vmware.com>

pub   1024R/66FD4949 2008-04-15 [expired: 2017-07-25]

uid                  VMware, Inc. -- Linux Packaging Key -- <linux-packages@vmware.com>

btw right now is almost 9PM of 26th july 2017 in my timezone.

Tags (2)
5 Replies
spride
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm encountering the same issue.  I have a support ticket open with them and will hopefully get an answer today.

spride
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I spoke with support, and the only response I got was that they have no idea why the key has not been updated, and not sure if/when someone will get around to updating it.  The support engineer I spoke with said he discussed the issue with other engineers and think the open-vm-tools-deploypkg (which should be the only thing on the repository site that is needed) will no longer be updated.  Not really the answer I was hoping for, but that was their response.  For now users can delete the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vmware-tools.list file, along with the two keys from the system.  I found that just commenting out the one line in the vmware-tools.list file also works.  It looks like "sudo apt-get update" still works fine even with the error, if you don't feel like removing the file or keys.

0 Kudos
spride
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is interesting now is that VMware just released a security advisory for VMware Tools on Linux version 9.x:

VMSA-2017-0013

0 Kudos
ravindravmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you all for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, key expiry date was not noticed in time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We will be posting the updated keys soon. Stay tuned.

0 Kudos
bryanypliu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The key files have been updated, now the OSP packages could be installed successfully. Sorry for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos