VMware Cloud Community
vigupta3
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Licensing / Cisco CUCM 12.5

Hi Team,

I have currently Esxi 6.0 with Lincense Product: VMware vSphere 6 Standard Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU).

We are running Cisco CUCM 10.5 on UCS C220/240. Now, we want to upgrade to CUCM 12.5.

Questions:

Which VMware license would be required and will that be compatible with CUCM 10.5 as well?

Can we upgrade the current licenses? If Yes, then what is the process to upgrade the current licenses, or buying new ones for the 12.5 will be more cost-effective?

Thanks

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vigupta3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for Quick respone.

Can these licenses be re-hosted on New Hardware or transferred from old UCS Server to new UCS server on which ESXi 6.5 will be installed?

Also is there a way we can check the Esxi License usage or its Hardware dependant?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@vigupta3 ,

These licenses are specific to no.of hosts, it's CPUs and does not have any hardware dependencies. Yes, you can assign the license to new hardware.

View the License Keys of ESXi Hosts from Web client 

vigupta3
Contributor
Contributor

@ashilkrishnan Thanks a lot for the previous queries. I have the last one below.

So the current license that I have got i.e. VMware vSphere 6 Standard Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU). Is my below understanding correct?

1st  + 2nd Physical CPU Socket on Board (Physical CPU) 

a. 1st Physical = n number of Cores = n number of vCPU

b. 2nd Physical = n number of Cores = n number of vCPU

Which means there will be no restriction when it comes to assigning vCPU's to VM's until and unless actual Physical CPU limitation for processing is reached?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes and yes, as long as the host has resources, you have no restrictions in assigning vCPUs to VMs

0 Kudos