VMware Cloud Community
seadorph
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Installation Problem

Hello Geeks,

Please I need your help. I am pretty new to vmware so I decided to set up my home lab for practice.  I installed esxi 5.5 on my machine from a bootable dvd. After installation, I was unable to access the window desktop to be able to lunch the downloaded vclient. please help. Any imput will be appreciated,

Set up info:

Machine: Dell Poweredge 2950

windwos 2012 server R2 withh service pack1(original OS)

VMWare ESXi5.5 (Installed)

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How exactly did you install ESXi? ESXi is usually installed directly on the hardware (i.e. wiping/re-formatting the installation disk), so a previous Windows installation may have been destroyed.

In order to access ESXi you need to install the vSphere Client on another Windows system and connect to the ESXi host over the network.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How exactly did you install ESXi? ESXi is usually installed directly on the hardware (i.e. wiping/re-formatting the installation disk), so a previous Windows installation may have been destroyed.

In order to access ESXi you need to install the vSphere Client on another Windows system and connect to the ESXi host over the network.

André

seadorph
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response a.p. You are absolutely right. I just figured out after a long internet search.I never knew that after installing vmware, I will need a second computer to access it. Thanks again.

Also, please is it possible to access my vmware (host) remotely from outside the same netork using vclinet? DO I need additional installation for that or just ssh?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What exactly do you consider "...from outside the same network..."? The vSphere Client uses port 443 to access the host (port 902 is required in order to access the VM's consoles). Depending ion which ports are open (in case of firewalls) you may consider to create a virtual machine with the required tools installed on the ESXi host, and remotely connect to this VM usin e.g. an RDP connection.

André

seadorph
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What I mean is that say for instance, I am away from home and I want to access my home server. will it be possible to just lunch my vsphere client and remotely connect to my server or do I need to do special cponfiguration for that?

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... will it be possible to just lunch my vsphere client and remotely connect to my server ...

Yes, that's possible. All the configuration data only exists on the ESXi host itself. The vSphere Client is only an "interface" to manage the host, and doesn't store any configuration data. All you need is to ensure that you have access to the host's IP address and the mentioned ports. In case you are going to access the host over the Internet, don't forget about security!

André

0 Kudos