VMware Cloud Community
Shanuvashd
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Infrastructure Documentation

Hi All,

Could some one please share a sample or a documentation template that you guy's would have made for your company's Virtual Infrastructure?

I need to document my companies Virtual Infrastructure.Need some help on how to start about this.if some one could share a template document that you guys's would have reffered would be great.

Thanks,

Nawaz

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Don't have any templates to offer but you could look at using these two scripts to help document your environment, it outputs a nice html report which can be used for documentation.

vSphere:

VI:

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Shanuvashd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick response.

This is good for ESX3 and ESX4 Host. My company still have around 10+ servers running ESX2.5 . Will this script work for those host or any other tools available for ESX2.5

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think the APIs for hosts < 3.x were pretty limiting, so the script probably won't work. You can try if they're being managed by an updated vCenter 2.5+ and see if you get any results but I have a feeling good amount of the properties will not exists and probably cause some errors in the output.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos