VMware Cloud Community
NiteshBharadia
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Essentials Kit - Can the CPU licenses be split across 6 single CPU physical servers?

I have a client that owns 6 locations (dental surgeries).

Each location has 1 single physical server with 1 CPU that will host a Windows Server and maybe 2 Windows Servers.

Can he use 1 Single VMware Essentials Kit and split the licenses to cover each of the 6 physical servers?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

you can't do that. The Essentials Kits are for up to 3 hosts. Each host can have up to 2 CPUs.

You could ask your VMware sales guy to look up the ROBO License (Remote Office / Branch Office).

Tim

0 Kudos
NiteshBharadia
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but In the past you were able to break the licenses and apply 1 license to a single cpu server x6.

I know that technically it works with v6.0 and v6.5 as I have tried it in a test lab.

What I am looking for is the answer from VMware officially about this and was hoping someone here might have a link to that text from the past still, but valid today

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Breaking the licenses, and assigning them to more than 3 host may certainly be possible from a technical point of view, but it violates the EULA.

from https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-vs... (page 7)

VMware vSphere Essentials Kits are all-in-one solutions for small environments (up to three hosts with two CPUs each) ...

André

0 Kudos